Hi guys, my emulator is even better than it was before! It has come a long way but I still have a problem, when I have the frame limiter enabled, the graphics are a bit jittery and are not smooth even though I am getting a constant 60 fps (heck when I disable the frame limiter and VSync, I can easily get well over 350 fps). I am using the Multimedia timer for timing, is it a good idea to try and use the Performance Counter to do the timing? I hear it can be a lot more accurate?
Posted on 2005-03-03 18:00:19 by x86asm
is it a good idea to try and use the Performance Counter to do the timing?

Not necessarily, look here.
Posted on 2005-03-04 06:30:34 by Frank
Yikes, I will see what I can do, I think I will include a way to fall back onto the Multimedia Timer.
Posted on 2005-03-04 20:09:28 by x86asm
It is a lot more accurate than GetTickCount or timeGetTime tho which is a huge advantage IMO.

I'm having similar problems as you have, I need a timer with a higher resolution than the 2 mentioned above.. It must run *exactly* the same on all systems (a bit more or less accurate is no problem, as long as I can get it down to the msec) and it should not need long calibration for that precision.

The problem for me is with shorter calibration of say 0.1 secs it'll soon give different results on different systems. If the calibration is not perfect (and there's a good chance of that) it'll start running away or falling behind. A 1 sec would give more reliable results but I think it's too long :/

Also I can't really rely on one-time calibration because the thing I'm working on is a benchmarking tool for overclockers so the clock speed will most likely change between every run.
Several users gave me bug reports of the performance counters freaking out (only at clocks of over 4 GHz tho, but still) so I had to fall back to the less precise GetTickCount now :(

I was thinking of using RDTSC for timing but it'll need the calibration and I just don't trust that method as of yet :)

So anyway, I'm gonna follow this thread and see if anyone here knows of a good solution :-D
Posted on 2005-03-07 05:20:48 by snq
Let me know how you performance benchmark tool goes, I wouldnt mind trying it. I implemented Performance Counters and let me say I was blown away by the accuracy, the difference was MUCH better and noticable! But I dont understand how it can freak out on 4Ghz+ machines :S
Posted on 2005-03-12 22:44:42 by x86asm
You can download it at http://superpi.radeonx.com/. I took an existing tool that is kind of a standard for benching and added some features. The original precision was in seconds, so not very precise.. Also I added some anti cheat protection to keep the comparisons fair. Quite a fun job patching code bytes, there's no source available.
The timer problem still remains unsolved. Some people get a time of over an hour for a 1M run while it actually took them around 30 secs. I'm not sure what to do about it but I think I'll just fall back to GetTickCount instead :/
Posted on 2005-03-13 02:08:24 by snq