i did much know about this, but after some peeking on the net, it seems there is no standard protocol/procedure to perform firmware updating through IDE. is this true? like fujitsu/hitachi/maxtor have different software for updating. could anyone give some clue on this topic?

thanks
Posted on 2005-03-18 00:44:48 by dion
Yes it is true. The same goes for 90% of human technology: "the only standard is that there is no standard..."
Posted on 2005-03-18 04:25:07 by BogdanOntanu
That's true, it's vendor specific. It's not part of the standard ATA command set.
Posted on 2005-03-19 01:06:22 by Pinczakko
is there anyone ever renaming hdd drive model string?
i got utility (from maxtor site) called maxblast, but only able to resize the hdd capacity variable.
Posted on 2005-03-20 21:22:45 by dion
have you ever been to The Firmware Page Portal ?
also, you might want to chek  this out.
Posted on 2005-03-21 23:47:14 by Pinczakko
thanks Pinczakko for the useful links.
actually i ever come across and even have download somekind file like this, with .rpm .ldr extention, which i do not understand what/how to utilize it. i read somewhere that it related to files used by a peripheral device developed by ACE tech. to repair hdd (maybe).

my main focus right now is on hdd. i know which one the firmware flash chip is. but, you know, it is the biggest one if you look on the board, which also the microcontroller. and i thought this is not a good idea, to replace them.

all i wanna do is just to rename the drive model string, so, i can use it as security features. or maybe with further mod. but, hm.. i am so clueless...

thanks
Posted on 2005-03-22 21:09:17 by dion