jimmyclif
thanks for your offer I already have the code in binaries its in a library ?to be linked with obj files ?
this problem has been solved

Posted by: Raymond

Insert Quote

Like many members of this forum, I am also fluent in a language other than English. I have done translations in the past but only on subjects I was very familiar with. I've also seen translations which were made by others who may have been as fluent as I in both languages but lacked the knowledge about the subject being translated. The result was generally a disaster.
{MASM and fasm differ like U.S English and British English differ and I have a book on MASM 5.1 the only thing I have come} { accost in this code is the invoke and proc differ from what is in the book }
{ but after carfull study of the code I understand how to call the subs without invoke }

Translating from one assembly language to another is no different. One must be thoroughly familiar with both if the result must be acceptable. Wish you the best Rob but your project would certainly be easier after brushing up on the MASM syntax. Or, you could always look at the code which was generated for the library.
{will do as soon as I find info on the library format (like where do I find the starting addresses so I can disassemble it )}

Raymond

hutch
ok you win
I should have studyed the code better than I did lesson learned
about Linux
about your NICs I know nothing thay may or may not be supported under the chip set name (used 3Com NICs are dirt cheap $5.00 - $10.00 U.S.D. and thay work with windows )
I don't know where you got the idea that linux is command line only (other than floppy disk distros)I'm running KDE
http://kde.org right now sure looks like a GUI to me linux can boot into GUI mode as well as command line mode
Posted on 2005-03-30 17:40:47 by rob.rice
A side note:

The word whinging is not used in the US, it seems to be a British and a UK thing. In the US, at least the part I'm from, whining means the same thing as whinging, whining can also describe a sound.

Whinging
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=whinging

Whining
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=whining

Posted on 2005-03-30 19:58:01 by Greg
the docs on invoke had me looking for some stack interaction
insted of looking at what the code is doing when I coulden't
find any stack interaction I came here and asked
what has to be going on is that pointers are being loaded
with the adderss of the data for the code to work on

as far as this being windows code other than it being
writen the MASM dilect of assembly there is nothing windows
about it no windows library calls no windows API calls
I doubt Raymond ment to but he did a veary good job of
keeping windows out of the code every thing is done in
memory permiters are passed as pointers and one controll
dword

I not stealing any thing from windows it will still be there
for MASM programers I just do not understand what hutch
is upset about
Posted on 2005-03-31 00:30:27 by rob.rice

I not stealing any thing from windows it will still be there for MASM programers I just do not understand what hutch is upset about

Who said I was upset, I just get tired of the propaganda around LINUX when it was you who wanted to convert Windows MASM code to LINUX.

FreeBSD, the way LINUX was meant to be.  :mrgreen:
Posted on 2005-03-31 02:54:24 by hutch--

I not stealing any thing from windows it will still be there for MASM programers I just do not understand what hutch is upset about

Who said I was upset, I just get tired of the propaganda around LINUX when it was you who wanted to convert Windows MASM code to LINUX.

FreeBSD, the way LINUX was meant to be.? :mrgreen:

I am translating it to fasm NOT to just linux it will be useful in fasm windows programs
let me repeat that
I am translating it to fasm NOT to just linux it will be useful in fasm windows programs

and yes it will be useful in fasm linux programs
IF MASM ran under linux (like that will ever happen) this library could be assembled to run on linux AS IS
OK hutch do You now understand that I'm translating this floating point library to fasm
(not that I know there is a bsd port of fasm coming but I have seen nasm source that can be assembled for
both with macros used for the API calls )
and as soon as the bsd port of fasm is written it will also be useful in bsd fasm programs

Posted on 2005-03-31 15:05:17 by rob.rice
Using the FPU has nothing to do with Windows or any other OS. It only has to do with the hardware which will accept the opcodes. That is why the library was written that way.

AND, neither that library nor the FPU tutorial would ever have seen the light of day without the request and support from Hutch. He has also been very supportive about making that library available for use with other assembly languages. ;)

Raymond
Posted on 2005-03-31 20:39:38 by Raymond
Raymond
and nether would a lot of other assembly projects
I know that without hutch there would be no FpuLib in the first place
THANK YOU HUTCH !!
I'm just trying to over come his prejudgest agenest linux .
the point I trying to get over to hutch is that what I'm trying to do
is not just about linux and I have sed 6-8 times that I'm doing a masn to fasm
translation and I have sed that when the translation is done the library will work
on windows as well
BUT Hutch seems to be missing this point

the truth is I really like Hutch he is one of my faverot people on this forum
he really puts a lot of effort in to helping people solve there assembly problems
the world could do with a lot more people like Hutch
and Hutch has even helped me with windows problems 

after getting hit over the head with " YOU who wants to port code from Windows MASM to Linux FASM."
More Than Once and saying no thats not all that I'm doing More Than Once
I hit back and I'm sorry if I offended you or anybody else including Hutch
(even thought I doubt Hutch is that easy to offend)

Posted on 2005-04-01 16:25:06 by rob.rice
Rob,

All any of us OLD FELLAS expect is that you get the idea right, implement it to perfection, make code so fast that it cracks atoms and so small that it goes un-noticed. As you are working on other platforms, we expect you to do it there as well.  :mrgreen:

Now none of this is difficult to do, once you understand both MASM and FASM, you should be able to port from one to another without much trouble, mnemonics being the easiest, the high level code probably being te hardest.
Posted on 2005-04-01 18:10:30 by hutch--

Rob,

All any of us OLD FELLAS expect is that you get the idea right, implement it to perfection, make code so fast that it cracks atoms and so small that it goes un-noticed. As you are working on other platforms, we expect you to do it there as well.? :mrgreen:

Now none of this is difficult to do, once you understand both MASM and FASM, you should be able to port from one to another without much trouble, mnemonics being the easiest, the high level code probably being te hardest.

and I will put my best effort in to doing this
I have learned not to panic at the high level code
Posted on 2005-04-01 20:42:20 by rob.rice