Hi guys, I recently switched from Pentium to AMD 64. Would it be any difference in using MASM ? With the different architecture, does it make much difference?
Thanks
Posted on 2005-03-21 18:44:32 by Trooper
As long as you are coding for 32 bit it makes no difference, the Athlon64 is completely compatible though you will not have SSE3 unless you have an Athlon64 XP. Beyond that, if you are running Win32 you will find absolutely no differences. If you are running WinXP64 then you might notice a few (very minor) snags with WoW, I have heard about a couple but all of my projects seem to run flawlessly. I should note that I use GoAsm, not MASM but there would be no real difference in the context here.
Posted on 2005-06-21 23:00:12 by donkey

The additional you may look at
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/DownloadableAssets/dwamd_24592.pdf
Posted on 2006-04-05 09:39:55 by MikDay
The XP64 system has some problems with lack of drivers (all drivers need to be rewritten for 64bit), and a few applications might have problems as well (especially those that had problems with XP SP2 Data Execute Prevention). Other than that, it runs pretty well. Faster for some, slightly slower for others... it depends a lot on what you're going to use the system for.

As for programming, you can still do 32bit applications just fine, no changes there. 64bit applications are somewhat different, since XP64 uses a different calling convention, and because of the larger address space and other things. You'll also need a 64-bit capable assembler if you want to do 64bit apps.
Posted on 2006-04-05 15:59:05 by f0dder
Personally, I have sacrificed my Webcam, Printer, and some right-click ease just to keep XP64 running on my system. It really made a huge difference for me on my AMD64-based system. The extreme example being one game that loads in 10 seconds whereas in regular XP Pro it took 3 minutes!!!

Not that I am giving a sales pitch here, but it was a positive difference for me.
Posted on 2006-04-05 21:54:36 by SpooK
A thing to consider: at least theoretically, even 32bit programs can get a speed boost from running under xp64. How? If they spend a lot of time doing system/kernel calls. Why? Because the kernel is written in 64bit code which has more registers available. This ould include GDI, OpenGL, DirectX, ...
Posted on 2006-04-06 00:48:13 by f0dder

A thing to consider: at least theoretically, even 32bit programs can get a speed boost from running under xp64. How? If they spend a lot of time doing system/kernel calls. Why? Because the kernel is written in 64bit code which has more registers available. This ould include GDI, OpenGL, DirectX, ...

That is exactly why. Not to advocate the development of poorly written software, but the operating system behind the programs (you know, the one that does at that tedious and repetitive tasks) is where things really matter when speed and efficiency is concerned. Imagine if we could take that exisiting OS code and tweak it even more :D
Posted on 2006-04-06 01:07:19 by SpooK

That is exactly why. Not to advocate the development of poorly written software, but the operating system behind the programs (you know, the one that does at that tedious and repetitive tasks) is where things really matter when speed and efficiency is concerned. Imagine if we could take that exisiting OS code and tweak it even more :D

Iirc there's people from the FASM board that have been optimizing the xp64 kernel. Or well, "usermode system DLLs" I think it was. But still... :)
Posted on 2006-04-06 01:17:43 by f0dder