I have been trying to learn some graphics stuff myself for some time now.  I have read and praticed the stuff from the book 'adobe illutrator cs classroom in a book'.
I can copy simple images by looking at them.

But what i fail to understand is how does one think of a logo/graphic from scratch? How do you think of a design?
Like in programming there is a certain logical way to solve a problem, one solves little by little of the problem to gsolve a bigger problem.

Similarly, i would like to know what kind of a process is involved thinking of a graphic design from scratch.
Posted on 2005-03-30 13:08:31 by clippy
Interesting, I would like to know this also.? :P
Posted on 2005-03-30 14:31:13 by Jurgen
It is called Creativity, it is an important part of inteligence but it is not rational...
it is similar to experimentation with a sense of playing + fooling arround and with a good trained sensor for what is beautyfull :p
Posted on 2005-03-30 14:47:12 by BogdanOntanu
You need to gain a knowledge of the interaction between color, light and space.  Most of us understand, or have read about, how colors interact with each other, ie, complementary colors, the color wheel, etc.  Many do not consider how light also plays a role in the image.  How brightness affects the look along with contrast.

Just as important is the space a line or object occupies.  The mere placement of a round ball such that it is cut off by the frame edge at the top lends more power to that object than if it were lower in the frame, for example.

Sometimes an artist, when designing a logo, will think about what the company is selling.  A company that makes balls may have a round logo or rounded letters.  Or the letters are normal but arranged in a circular fashion.  A bank might have strong letters supported by vertical posts or columns.

These are the things artists think about when they create but, by no means, do they just sit down and "do it".  Sometimes many, many iterations are done and thrown away before the "right one" comes about.  Don't be intimidated into thinking all creative people just pop out the perfect solution the first time they sit down to it.

One of the best books I've ever read on this is "The Simple Secret to Better Painting" byGreg Albert.  I have other good book suggestions for composition that would also help you to "see".
Posted on 2005-03-30 18:20:46 by drhowarddrfine
Also supose some people normally have in something to paint, the 80's, the 90's??, geometry???, forest?, space ;), the human body, anime, motion.

Normally when you whant to have a logo you know for what the logo will be, like the mew logo, or the "contest" that some pages do in design (I dont have any link, but I remember watch some time some good designs ;) in a page with such type of contest). You normally have a theme in what to think, sometimes you dont have a source for the inspiration or a theme in what to think then should be necessary find some, even not a based theme... a collage, dont know ;).

Now what if you try to modify your normall pictures, the ones that you can copy, instead of copy them, modify the a little, take a paint from ... supose x theme and translate the concept to other theme.

Dont know, pass fun time ;).
Posted on 2005-03-30 20:20:25 by rea
Don't forget that "artist" also means a musician and a lot more :). I know a handful of artists, many of which are good, and some are really good. I'm an artist myself, too - though not a very good one yet, just because I haven't had enough time to experiment.
I've noticed several factors and roughly their importance to making great art:
1) talent.  10%
2) viewing a lot of finished good (respected) pieces of art - to see what is accepted. 30%
3) viewing the sources of (or steps to create) many pieces of art - to know how to do some elements and what not to do. 40%
4) having tools that won't limit you severely. 10%
5) getting/reading lessons from professionals or semi-professionals. 20%
6) experimenting. 100%
7) having a large database of snippets/samples - small elements that you can use in your art. (like .wav samples or instruments in music). 20%

You just can't get a "wow" if you haven't experimented even a bit. You will find yourself reinventing the wheel if you don't have sources of (or steps to create) some type of art. You just can't make a good big picture with an icon editor (bluntly said). Doesn't matter if some piece of art is extremely creative - if it doesn't touch even slightly a well-defined and accepted base, you can't get more than a handful of fans/customers. If you don't have talent - well, the only drawback is that you'll have to experiment even more (because talented people almost immediately find the path they should take). If you don't learn from the mistakes of others (by seeing the sources of bad pieces of art) , it'll take even more time to get some fans. Professional tutorials can save a lot of effort in experimenting. Having a database of snippets/samples can help you quickly define the accepted ground in your new artwork, on which you will later add some things you found appropriate during some experiment.
But having experience is important. Both sequential (trying one thing, then over that trying another) and non-sequential one (trying one thing, then removing it and trying another).
Talent, I repeat, just accelerates your "becoming better". Nothing more :) . Creativity is a result of experimenting a lot.

Also, if you have a time limit to make some artwork with a specific topic, there are some tricks to finish it earlier :) . All based on looking what others did on this or a similar topic.

And on the "sense of taste", mentioned by Bogdan - well, I didn't mention it because it's actually not something you need to have right away. The artwork's base needs no sense of taste, because it's already been proven good/great/awesome/thebest. The added creative stuff to the artwork is what needs a sense of taste  (which everyone actually has less or more) . But this is sense is ackquired in the following way: Every single artist that I know, wants detailed feedback on his creations. "This pixel is not right", "That line doesn't seem ok", "The bass is too loud", "Cut off the nagging 12kHz sndwave", "The image is too blurry". The artist takes notes on all the feedback, fixes the artwork, then again asks "is now ok?". Also tries to remember the majority of details that are requested/rejected - to apply/avoid them from his next artworks. But all this falls in the factor "2)" and is again learnt via experience (he'll get the feedback for sure).
I hope this helps ;)
Posted on 2005-04-03 21:03:29 by Ultrano
I disagree to an extent.  A "true artist" doesn't care what anyone else thinks.  His art is what he interprets it to be.  It is what it is because he says it is.  If you are creating art for others then feedback is needed because you are hired to make what others want.
Posted on 2005-04-10 19:11:36 by drhowarddrfine
What pass when you in the concept of create a "new thing" you develop a concept that is already there??.. you after make a research find that there where before?

That has happened to me at less two times :P, tought what I like is that I get the idea before read the material related to them :D.

Feedback is important if you whant to know if there is nothing like what you are doing. or not?
Posted on 2005-04-10 21:35:54 by rea