? What is an ideal computer to use for developement?? I have a 2Ghz Compaq Presario desktop PC with AMD - Sempron 3000+ processor, I have installed almost every developement software I could find. I have asm, php, perl, DevC++, DevPascal, and Java 2, to name a few.? I bought this computer at W@11Mart and it runs perfect for all environments except Java, which is extreamly sluggish.? I only paid $494.00 which includes a 17" monitor.
? Is this a decent developers computer, or should I try something else?? Are there othe inexpensive options out there!

Now another question, With the programing tools I have installed, all work perfectly except of course Java(Still A Memory Hog), and set up properly with Apache + mod_ssl, and SuSE LINUX 8.2 what would I be able to sell this computer for?? I don't plan on selling it but I am just curious as to how much a developer would pay for a completely set up system.

Thanks for your reply in advance!
Posted on 2005-04-10 07:15:04 by japreja
Hello,

You should post at the correct forum.

Anyway I would not pay extra for installed programs, because I do not see it as a bonus. Also whether the computer is a prefect developer's environment really depend on the programmer. Different programmer use different tool and some do not have any uses for some tool and so on. It is really abitarary.

If you ask me, I would actually prefer to build my own computer isntead of purchasing it. That way I can get what I really want in my system - not saying that it might be cheaper, but sometimes it would be cheaper to build your own.

Haha I have to agree with you. JAVA is really a memory hog and my computer will lag when running java applications. Therefore I really dislike JAVA.
Posted on 2005-04-10 09:23:20 by roticv
I have to agree with roctiv; I certainly wouldn't pay extra for preinstalled software. I'm a developer, and I can install those things perfectly myself. Preinstalled software is mostly an end-user thing, IMHO. I also prefer assembling the system myself, since I get the hardware I want that way (although I prefer pre-built boxes when buying new hardware for the museum where I work).

As for the perfect developer box, dunno. I'm quite satisfied with my current system, though:

CPU: AMD Athlon64, 3500+, S939, BOX
Graphics: MSI NX6600-TD256E, GF6600, PCI-E
Motherboard: MSI K8N-NEO4-Platinum, nForce4, S939
Memory: Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2 2x512MB, PC400
Harddrives: Maxtor DM10 160GB, SATA, 7200RPM, 8MB (RAID mirror mode)
DVD-writer: PLEXTOR PX-716A/T3, DVD?RW 16X, Retail
Monitors: Acer 17" AL1715ms TFT Silver, 12ms + Samsung SyncMaster 151s, 15ms
Casing: ThermalTake VA3000BNA, Black
PSU: Chill Innovation CP-400P PSU, 400W

Pictures of the assembly process at http://flork.dk/pix/amd64
Posted on 2005-04-10 09:41:39 by f0dder
Anything that can run XP at a decent speed, with half of the hardware you got, with all of those tools is more than good enough.

Remember we still in 386 lands.  Now we got 64bit processors trying to get popular.  Who knows what will follow and how soon.  Coding for today's processors is rapidly changing.  386 get totally dumped.

What i do know for sure is what the average person has at work or home.  The majority has much less hardware power than you have.  So as an software developer it must not be so good that coding don't operate on the processors that they own.  It could take 20 years before even you throw out the old now working TV set.  AMD can work on Intel processor as long as the developer is aware of how to code to meet all.

For private development, it depends on what you want to develop, so that doesn't matter.

Anyway,  I would say that is a very nice machine for development.  But any true and knowing developer would rather build it himself.  To even think the word it self would lead most to doing just that.  It's all about development and being a better developer.

Personally I would go with an Intel processor.  Most developers are lucky for now and that it.

Have fun :)
Posted on 2005-04-10 18:39:48 by ib386
The ideal computer for software development is always the same: the BIGGEST and FASTEST machine you can afford to get.

Hmm...just like gaming platforms...

Unfortunately, one system is not good enough for developing network applications...
Posted on 2005-04-10 19:16:08 by tenkey
and yes.  even I would jump on that price, + - with SuSE too.

It's more easier to break down than to build up anyway.  A lot could be learned more quickly really. :)
Posted on 2005-04-10 21:30:49 by ib386
ib386: I suggest you refresh yourself with the read the board rules before posting again...
Posted on 2005-04-10 21:45:30 by ib386
I would like to have a dual Itanium, to see how it goes.
Posted on 2005-04-11 14:26:01 by GogetaSSJ4
I would prefer a dual AMD64 system - preferably, when the CPUs and motherboards are out, a 2xDual-Core AMD64 system. That would be pretty sweet, I think. Heck, even a single dual-core chip would be sweet. Itanium... don't have the software for it.
Posted on 2005-04-11 14:40:21 by f0dder