Here's the current state of my MD3 demo.
It's a translation of the gametutorials code
http://www.homer.ultrano.com/Upload/MD3Animation.zip

As you can see, there's a couple of glitches to sort out, but I'm well underway.
Who's interested in helping get this code up to scratch?
Posted on 2005-04-14 09:53:25 by Homer
It looks like I fixed the problem with the UVs (tex coords).
Re-uploaded to the same URL given in the previous post.

I'd still like some help with this :)
I notivce that the bone rotations are being performed in the wrong direction (lol) - watch the weapon during a Gesture for a clear example.

The jitter during animation is probably the result of bad "ft" values being fed into the vertex lerper.

I doubt this has any bearing on the bone slerper producing negative rotations.

Posted on 2005-04-14 21:06:43 by Homer
It crashes for me, referencing data at 0x00000000, after "End Of File" messagebox, at instruction 0x77fcb032. "The memory could not be written"
Posted on 2005-04-15 10:59:41 by Ultrano

It crashes for me, referencing data at 0x00000000, after "End Of File" messagebox, at instruction 0x77fcb032. "The memory could not be written"


It happens the same to me.

Kecol.-
Posted on 2005-04-15 12:12:19 by Kecol
Interesting, I don't get that crash.
Wanna help track it down?
It sounds to me like it's occuring during / just after the parsing of one of the configuration files.

What I am seeing is the following:
Lara with the wrong texture applied to Head, with about 25 animations selectable with left and right mousebuttons for legs and torso animations.
The weapon rotating the wrong direction during animations (when it should point to the ground, it faces up).
A "glitch" during animation rendering which looks like deliberate delayed image masking but is the result of incorrect lerping factor.

You can rotate lara with the left and right cursors, zoom the camera with up and down cursors, toggle wireframe with W, escape to quit.

I've found out how to render Lara using bone animation instead of keyframed vertices, and am thinking of moving from MD? files back to X files, but sticking with OpenGL as the render engine.

I believe its possible to apply bone animation to a segmented mesh model.
IE its possible to have a bone animated model thats easy to blow into pieces.
I'll need to write an OpenGL/XFile animation demo using a "collapsed mesh" first, and then back-engineer it for MD3 style model segmentation.

In the end, I'll most likely use a butchered version of MD3, with all but the first frame of animated vertices (per animation) stripped out, and relying on the hitherto underutilised bone animation data for animating the model vertices.

I've also been working on abstracting keyframe animation data, defining "animation snippets" and "snippet sequences", and working on a binary keying system to identify which animations are allowed to be blended together at runtime.

I agree that first person stuff has been done to death.
Posted on 2005-04-17 04:30:03 by Homer