Hi all,

I would like to build a very basic IRC-client in masm, but i cant find any information about the IRC protocol.
So how i could, get the aviable channels after connection to a server,  go into a channel, chat in a channel, get info about a channel (the other people in the channel), etc etc...

Thx in advance.

Regards.
PyroMathic
Posted on 2005-04-14 10:36:16 by pyr0_mathic
This should cover it :)

http://www.irchelp.org/irchelp/rfc/index.html
Posted on 2005-04-14 10:45:58 by JimmyClif
Did you google for "IRC Protocol"?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=irc+protocol
Posted on 2005-04-14 14:48:49 by gorshing
lo,

yes i did google it up, but didnt knew at that time that it was pure: txt-based.....  :sad:

But thanks for the link, i am now able to chat on an IRC server using Telnet, just gotta get it also running in my own program.... But that should not be a problem.  :)

Thx for the help.

Regards.
PyroMathic
Posted on 2005-04-15 11:31:40 by pyr0_mathic
All of the RFC's that I have read have been text.
Posted on 2005-04-15 12:28:47 by gorshing
i am not sure that my info is suitable in your case, but you wil weigh it up.
http://www.asmcommunity.net/board/viewtopic.php?t=20526

i attached ircbot with c++ source. I think it have many of function for IRC client !

Success ! :)
Attachments:
Posted on 2005-04-17 09:07:14 by martidim
pyr0_mathic,

I am interested in your project.  I would also like to help, so that I may have the source as well.

There is a partial project started already, let me know if you would like to finish that one or start from scratch.

Let me know.

Regards,  P1  8)
Posted on 2005-04-18 13:19:37 by Pone
IRC Bot masm sources:
Attachments:
Posted on 2005-04-18 15:05:17 by Sickle
hi,
some time ago i start coding a irc client and put the source on sourceforge.
heres the link: http://sourceforge.net/projects/asmirc

i give up coding on it because there are lot of irc commands to insert, but you can still connect top a channel and if you know the commands you can type them by hand :-)

had much fun learning and understanding how irc works.

UPSSS: found this post by searching the archive and dont see the date of the question...
ährm one year later my response :-(
Posted on 2006-04-29 15:23:55 by xanthos
pyr0_mathic,

Attached is an IRC Bot I threw together a while back cause I couldn't think of anything to do. I've successfully used it as an IRC Client but there is no command support except through the menu (ie can't op someone using /op or /mode #chan +o username) the edit control at the bottom simply wraps what you say into a PRIVMSG and sends it to the current channel. Username has to be hardcoded as well as whatever password you use to identify with. A default channel is required but you can change rooms using the menu. To build it, change the username/pass/default channel /admin name in the source and save it. then double click the file (since it's saved as a self building bat source) and an ircbot.exe will be dumped. Other than that, it was designed as a bot, so if you plan to play around with it as a client, set the szBotAdmin string to your current username, otherwise someone else could /nick to that name and send commands. current commands include !die, !vop, and !op. Also note that it's not the cleanest designed client in the world. Rather than handling sockets using WSAAsyncSelect() I just created a thread to handle incomming data and posting it to the richedit control. Mod it if you want into whatever you want, it was more or less designed to waste my time :)

Regards,
Bryant Keller
Attachments:
Posted on 2006-04-29 15:40:08 by Synfire
hi Synfire

i have found your ircbot on this board
if I the  compile this then comes in the ircbot.exe a error message:
"Could not create window"

greets
ragdog
Posted on 2007-12-13 10:25:27 by ragdog
The problem seems to be rather recent. The program runs fine on some older Win32 OS's but not on newer ones. What's happening is that WNDCLASSEX is not properly initialized so RegisterClassEx is failing which causes the error check at CreateWindowEx to be displayed. Attached is a working version. All I've done here is added a quick loop to the beginning of WinMain that will initialize all variables to zero. Sorry for the late response.
Attachments:
Posted on 2007-12-13 14:37:14 by Synfire