Hi, again... Thanks for convincing me to switch over to AMD, SpooK. Now that I have finished deciding who to side with, I got one last problem, building a computer for x64 development. I'd like to be on a budget of less than $1,000. (I think I should be fine on the budget.) So....

- First of all, I could use some suggestions on a CPU / motherboard. (AMD64) ... Prefer latest / up-to-date.

- Second, what is some decent ram stick I could get? (I hear Kingston ram is good) ... Prefer a 1 gig stick.

- Any nice & fancy case to get? (I know... :P Just want to spice it up a bit. Or, some medium tower...)

I think I can handle finding whatever else I will need. (Such as hd, floppy drives, etc. :))  These are just the ones I'm having trouble with.

Sorry for being such a bother. :)

Thanks.

- ~Steve~ -
Posted on 2005-04-27 14:41:47 by ~Steve~
Well, it wasn't really a sales pitch... just telling you what my experience has been with the AMD 64 :)

If you want to build the PC yourself, I suggest searching prices around Tiger Direct or New Egg.

If you wish to purchase from one of the major vendors, may I suggest taking the Compaq SR1010Z and customizing it to fit your needs :)

I also suggest going for Windows XP Professional so you can take advantage of Microsoft's XP Pro 32-bit to 64-bit "trade-in".
Posted on 2005-04-27 15:03:29 by SpooK
Get a motherboard with the NForce4 chipset. I use MSI (micro-star), and it works flawlessly for me.

Get a good PSU, 400W should do it - rather go for a good PSU at 400W, than some el-cheapo 500W. The voltage stability is more important than the Watt rating.

Get 2x512 ram sticks instead of a single 1024meg, so you can run dual-channel.

Get two SATA drives with Native Command Queing support, and run in RAID mirror mode for data safety (do NOT use this as a substitute for backups, though!).

My current rig is described at http://f0dder.mine.nu/newbox_specs.txt , and there's some pics at http://flork.dk/pix/amd64/ .
Posted on 2005-04-27 15:49:35 by f0dder
Wow, that looks great, f0dder. Thanks to both of you for the reply.

Now, I gotta see what I can do. I'd love to buy the whole package you got. :) Kinda over the budget though. Sadly, kind of young, so no job for me. >_> I think it's time to look for a job. I must set this up soon. :)

Thanks

- ~Steve~ -
Posted on 2005-04-27 16:12:10 by ~Steve~
I have a Pentium 4 660 (ie: 3.0 GHz, EMT64, HT), with an Asus P5AD2-E Deluxe MB, and 2x512 DDR2-533 Corsair memory modules. It's a great machine.
I'd recommend you to get one or two Raptors, those are really good drives. I'm still trying to run NCQ, but WinXP 32 somehow chokes while booting.
Bye
Posted on 2005-04-28 20:19:32 by GogetaSSJ4
I wouldn't get a P4 - Intel messed up bigtime with the prescotts, and they run way too hot. Since there's stable (and good) chipsets for AMD64, and it's more bang for the buck when using integer instructions, well... :)

Btw, I'm running NCQ fine here with my Maxtors. They're only 1-gen SATA speedwise (as if it matters, you're not gonna reach the theoretical limit until you stripe a whole bunch ofthem), but NCQ works.
Posted on 2005-04-29 01:04:52 by f0dder

I wouldn't get a P4 - Intel messed up bigtime with the prescotts, and they run way too hot. Since there's stable (and good) chipsets for AMD64, and it's more bang for the buck when using integer instructions, well... :)

Btw, I'm running NCQ fine here with my Maxtors. They're only 1-gen SATA speedwise (as if it matters, you're not gonna reach the theoretical limit until you stripe a whole bunch ofthem), but NCQ works.

I must concur with f0dder, my processor right before my AMD 64 was a P4 and the AMD 64 runs way cooler than the P4 ever did... and it does seem to outperform the P4. That doesn't mean that Intel won't come out of a better and cooler processor as has been happening since the AMD/Intel battle started, but for now Intel is worried more about a chip that can do everything instead of doing important things efficiently.
Posted on 2005-04-29 01:35:20 by SpooK