Hi. I don't know if this is the right place to ask but...

What is d3dx8d.lib and d3dx8d.dll all about? Microsoft says they are only for developers, and I need them to build scronty's direct x tutorials. Is there I way I can statically link the library so that the end user does not require d3dx8d.dll?
Posted on 2005-05-05 08:20:34 by wildgnu
The d stands for debug.
These DLLs can emit debugging information.
They are quite slow , use the retail version of the DLL and your own debugging system.
Posted on 2005-05-05 12:29:28 by Homer
i doubt there is any retailt version, because D3DX links statically in retai build.
Posted on 2005-05-06 17:08:19 by ti_mo_n
If you go hunting for the "dxdiag" tool, you will find that both sets already exist on your system.
Retail versions of the DX DLLs also ship with retail products, but thats beside the point.
The dxdiag tool allows you to force all DX calls through the debug version, heh.

The retail versions of each DX DLL are named the same, without the lowercase d suffix.
Posted on 2005-05-06 23:22:38 by Homer

maybe something's wrong with my computer?

...and i also double-checked: i can link to D3D9 DLL, but D3DX can be linked only statically inside the EXE on retail build.
Attachments:
Posted on 2005-05-07 13:30:47 by ti_mo_n
What that looks like is that you have the debug versions of some DX components selected in your control panel DX applet. It's nothing to worry about, and if you were coding DX apps with VC6/VS2003 etc, you would get to see the DX debug spew in the debug spew output window. If you explain further what your concerns are I'm sure we can offer opinions.

Incidentally DX9 D3DX libs are now dynamically linkable:

http://blogs.msdn.com/tmiller/archive/2005/2/15.aspx

Starting with this SDK release, D3DX is being released as a dynamic-link library (DLL). Updates to D3DX in the future will continue to ship as uniquely-named DLLs that exist side-by-side on the system. This allows for continued improvements to the library without imposing regression risk. D3DX9.lib is still provided as the import library for the DLL which your application can statically link against. See documentation for details.
Posted on 2005-05-09 19:58:43 by defbase

What that looks like is that you have the debug versions of some DX components selected in your control panel DX applet. It's nothing to worry about, and if you were coding DX apps with VC6/VS2003 etc, you would get to see the DX debug spew in the debug spew output window. If you explain further what your concerns are I'm sure we can offer opinions.

Yes, of course. I just wanted to show that (in previous DX-SDKs) D3DX linked ONLY statically (so there weren't any retail D3DX9.dll, only the debug D3D9d.dll --- which is what the wildgnu asked for).

Incidentally DX9 D3DX libs are now dynamically linkable:

http://blogs.msdn.com/tmiller/archive/2005/2/15.aspx

Starting with this SDK release, D3DX is being released as a dynamic-link library (DLL). Updates to D3DX in the future will continue to ship as uniquely-named DLLs that exist side-by-side on the system. This allows for continued improvements to the library without imposing regression risk. D3DX9.lib is still provided as the import library for the DLL which your application can statically link against. See documentation for details.

And from now on (finally) we can dynamically link to the retail version of the DLL :)

btw. thanx for the info ;) it's from February - looks like the programming absorbed me so much, that I missed it :P
Posted on 2005-05-09 22:53:59 by ti_mo_n