Hi, help needed urgently :)

What I want to try and do is make some sort of chat logger in masm32 which saves messages for instance from while online gaming, it would save all the text I recieve from other players to a folder where a bunch of .txt file's will be saved. Or maybe from the main MIRC client, i can save the chat conversation to a folder too. I also wanted to try and add a date and time to the log followed by the message which I recieved in-game. Im sure i know how to do everything else here it's just getting the date/time and saving the message to a .txt file in some folder called LOGS or something like that. I will use wsprintf() to set up the string with date/time message and anything else which I may want to add later.

Can someone give me a detailed idea how to do this please making use of win32 api calls.

Posted on 2005-05-05 20:48:43 by Randomizer
Well, for mIRC you just go to File/Options/IRC/Logging and enable it. And it even saves every line with accurate time & date. ;)

Im sure i know how to do everything else here it's just getting the date/time and saving the message to a .txt file in some folder called LOGS or something like that. I will use wsprintf() to set up the string with date/time message and anything else which I may want to add later.

GetSystemTime, CreateDirectory,CreateFile, WriteFile, CloseHandle

I guess the hardest part will be figuring out how to log the data.. Guess a couple more tuts wouldn't hurt.

Wonder how urgently you need it...
Posted on 2005-05-05 21:07:50 by JimmyClif

Well, for mIRC you just go to File/Options/IRC/Logging and enable it. And it even saves every line with accurate time & date. ;)

Im sure i know how to do everything else here it's just getting the date/time and saving the message to a .txt file in some folder called LOGS or something like that. I will use wsprintf() to set up the string with date/time message and anything else which I may want to add later.

GetSystemTime, CreateDirectory,CreateFile, WriteFile, CloseHandle

I guess the hardest part will be figuring out how to log the data.. Guess a couple more tuts wouldn't hurt.

Wonder how urgently you need it...

Thanks for the reply. But the MIRC thing was only an example. For instance if i need to write my own bot that can save logs to a folder, i need to know how.

So using GetSystemTime, CreateDirector, CreateFile etc will do all that?
Posted on 2005-05-05 22:23:25 by Randomizer
You have to be specific about your request and yet obscure about your intent if you want help around here with things like this.
You should have asked "how can I read the text from an arbitrary subwindow of another process".
Basically you will need to get the window handle of the target application's main window, and also the window handle of the control (child window) on that application containing the text you want.
Now you can use standard methods to retrieve the text content.

Posted on 2005-05-07 12:01:48 by Homer