ok, well i pulled out a Intel Celeron D 2.6ghz from a compaq
anyway, i threw my 3.2 ghz pentium 4 extreme into it to see the speed differences and if it would support an 800mhz cpu
well it worked fine but ran at 1.6ghz @ 400mhz bus but this isn't the problem
when i took it out and tried putting the Celeron back in it wouldn't start.
and the cpu fan was spinning faster than usual
when i put the pentium 4 extreme back it everything worked fine again
i didn't touch the pins or anything other than the sides the Celeron.
so, im wondering would anyone happen to know what is going on here?
the computer was off and unplugged when i took the cpu out to.

thanks, HeXeN
Posted on 2005-05-24 00:26:57 by HeXeN
I -personally- cal it "Interplanetary Mainboard bug"  :lol: It happened lots of times to me and my friends, event with different CPUs, mainboards, RAMs, etc.

The bug is:  when you change the config of your computer (especially: RAM and CPU, but sometimes AGP card, and -occasionally- PCI card) then the computer just doesn't start. by "change" i mean removing, inserting anything, or replacing it by something else.

My solution (don't laugh please :P ): insert/remove/replace everyting you want to, and leave your computer for 1 night, or something and it will start :P

I once emailed some companies about this. 'Abit' had no idea why is that. "Asus" replied that it may have something to do with capacitors discharge, but...  capacitor discharge 1 night long?
Posted on 2005-05-24 17:52:53 by ti_mo_n

I -personally- cal it "Interplanetary Mainboard bug"? :lol: It happened lots of times to me and my friends, event with different CPUs, mainboards, RAMs, etc.

The bug is:? when you change the config of your computer (especially: RAM and CPU, but sometimes AGP card, and -occasionally- PCI card) then the computer just doesn't start. by "change" i mean removing, inserting anything, or replacing it by something else.

My solution (don't laugh please :P ): insert/remove/replace everyting you want to, and leave your computer for 1 night, or something and it will start :P

I once emailed some companies about this. 'Abit' had no idea why is that. "Asus" replied that it may have something to do with capacitors discharge, but...? capacitor discharge 1 night long?

Yes, probably the same capacitors that tend to rupture :)
Posted on 2005-05-25 01:03:40 by SpooK
well ive unplugged it again, unplugged all power connections from the motherboard and i have taken out the battery and well it still doesn't work. i don't really see how i could have messed up the chip when i didn't even touch the pins.  ;\
Posted on 2005-05-25 16:46:20 by HeXeN
it was defective or already messed. I always touch pins, alway touch chips, once my P4 was swimming in milk, and everything works fine. and don't think that electronic components are so vulnerable, as the global opinion makes them. Or maybe I'm a very lucky man? :lol:
Posted on 2005-05-25 17:28:41 by ti_mo_n
Not as vulnerable as people think, but a 1% chance of destroying something in the workplace due to ESD is simply "unacceptable" to corporate types :)
Posted on 2005-05-25 20:44:36 by SpooK
lol well it turns out the heatsink was just to tight. i'm glad it's a minor problem but then again a Celeron D 2.66 is like 60 dollars so it could have been worse i could have destroyed the p4 extreme then id really be kicking myself.
Posted on 2005-05-26 04:37:53 by HeXeN