Sorry about the vague subject.  I couldn't think of anything more appropriate.

I'm working on an app with literally hundreds of objects (shapes, static controls, etc).  There's really no way to alter the way that they're displayed.  They have to be placed top to bottom in columns.  So depending on the user's resolution/monitor size, there has to be some way to scroll everything (at once) vertically.  There's no need for horizontal scrolling.  I didn't want to have to move each object individually, so I thought that if they were all grouped as children to a parent groupbox that would work best.  Anyways, that doesn't look very smooth, so I made a main groupbox that sort of acted like a viewport (for lack of a better word).  Then I included a 2nd groupbox (child to the 1st) with the same x and y coordinates but longer to fit all of the objects.  That looked fine, so I implemented the scrolling functionality.  When I position the child groupbox at a negative y offset it 'overwrites' the caption of the parent groupbox.

That may be hard to follow, so maybe this will explain the concept better.  Remember when you were younger (some of you still are :) ), we had those secret decoder thingamajigs.  It consisted of 2 parts -- a cardboard envelope of sorts with a window in it, and a piece of paper that you slid up and down lengthwise inside of the cardboard envelope so that you could see the paper 'scrolling' vertically through the envelope's window.  Hopefully that made it clearer.

So I'm wondering if either there's a way to keep the child groupbox from covering the main groupbox's caption label when I "slide" the child groupbox vertically.  ...or if anyone can think of something better than this solution.

thanks,
Will
Posted on 2005-06-21 20:11:18 by Will
Just found the ScrollWindow/Ex function description.  It sounds like what I'm trying to do.  I'll be trying that, but if someone knows of something better/different then I'm all ears.

thanks,
Will
Posted on 2005-06-21 21:56:33 by Will