Hi guys, wonder if ye could do me a small favour.

I'm trying to render nice anti aliased curves and I have a couple of parameters which can be tweaked so I thought I'd ask here which rendering ye think is best so I can fine tune. I already know my favourite but I'm curious what other peoples opinions are.

Each sample is shown at regular 100% zoom and 300% zoom which gives ye a better idea of the finer structre. It is important that the lines look like they're only one pixel thick (its easier to to get nice anti-aliasing with thicker lines but I don't want that at the mo) so perhaps try and take that into your decision.

Cheers and sorry about the big picture.
Eoin.

Posted on 2005-06-21 21:11:34 by Eóin
Thanks for the votes guys.

F was my favourite too. I'm surprised that B also got a vote because to me it feels to "thick". A is actually generated similarly to F though ye may have noticed that the curves of A a definitly grayer than those of F. I used an extra normalising calculation in it which was suppose to even things out, but it only made it too gray.

C is still a contender in my opinion, I think the lines of it feel the correct 1 pixel width.

So for me the competition is between A, C & F. I would like to offer some user control over the fine tuning (move the responsibility over to them :D ) but then I'd have to introduce a conditional jump over the normalising calculation and this section is supposed to be high speed.
Posted on 2005-06-22 08:43:25 by Eóin
I think F & B looks better because of their lines are more prefect as in less distortion.

Anyway, what's this perfect circle thing about? I am pretty curious about it.
Posted on 2005-06-22 08:56:41 by roticv
They all look like ovals to me ;)
Posted on 2005-06-22 09:58:33 by JimG
JimG, I was aware of that but The Perfect Oval doesn't have the same ring to it so I decided to shamelessly lie about the shape to sucker people into reading the post  :lol: .

roticv, I'm writing a Flame Fractal renderer. Basically I'm disappointed by Apophysis because pixelation is clearly visible in many of the images it produces. It uses super sampling to get around this but that only increases memory usage and rendering time. Finally its doesn't seem to take into account and the lograthritmic nature of the way flame fractals are processed (see this paper for details) which ends up undoing many of the benifits of super sampling.

All of these problems have lead me to believe that I can do things better and so I intend to try. An earlier attempt showed promise but I'm no good at writing GUIs so I've decided to rewrite it as a dll which I'll open-source and let other people desgin a GUI for if they want to.

The fact that I'm dealing with fractals may give ye an idea why I'm a bit anal about the line widths. Fractals are made up of infinitesimally small spots which of course a computer approximates with a whole pixel. I don't want to use 1.5 pixels or 2 pixels per spot or I'll lose too much fine detail.
Posted on 2005-06-22 10:55:29 by Eóin
Hi E?in,

This is very interesting indeed.

Regards,
Opc0de
Posted on 2005-06-22 12:00:04 by Opcode
About the voting -- it greatly depend on the monitor used. on my 1st monior B i really perfect, while on the 2nd one F is MUCH better (and B i jagged). and it's very subjective, i think...
Posted on 2005-06-22 13:01:42 by ti_mo_n
On my 17" acer TFT, F looks best, followed by E.

Btw, eoin - do you listen to APC or tool? :)
Posted on 2005-06-22 13:28:19 by f0dder
Here, F followed by B (old 19" iiyama CRT)

Unless you plan to use constant parameters, maybe you could embed a parameter tweaking dialog in your dll, like some cleartype applications?
Posted on 2005-06-22 13:59:40 by chep
F & B don't look like they'll suffer from a moire effect if you drew lots concentricly, which is probably a good quality.
F is best as it looks most white, while B looks like it's a bit washed out by some dodgy antialiasing.

Mirno
Posted on 2005-06-22 16:55:37 by Mirno
The Perfect Circle is  a really good band.
Posted on 2005-06-22 17:57:12 by AceEmbler

The Perfect Circle is? a really good band.

Isn't it "A Perfect Circle"?
Posted on 2005-06-22 18:09:25 by SpooK
Indeed it is - and the lead singer is from tool.
Posted on 2005-06-22 19:55:21 by f0dder
E?in,

On the 21 inch monitor I am using B is the best followed by F. The rest are notchy looking.
Posted on 2005-06-22 20:14:31 by hutch--
Thank you all, it seems clear that I'll have to allow the user some means of adjusting the parameters seeing as there is no perfect choice which will suit all tastes and monitors.

But I do think I will default to the settings used for F as it is definitly the favourite.

F0dder, I'd never heard of APC before. A friend of mine has been trying to get me to listen to some of his tool albums recently, I guess I really should.
Posted on 2005-06-22 20:25:45 by Eóin

Indeed it is - and the lead singer is from tool.

I Didn't know that !!! (shocked). But still "A Perfect Circle" sounds better than  "Tool" for me.
Posted on 2005-07-12 17:44:15 by AceEmbler