Hi

I'm haveing problems finding the right software to make a new exact copy of my operating system to my portable iomega harddrive, I've got partition magic 7.0 allready, What want to do is make an exact bootable copy of my F: drive, the operating system I'm using right now to what will be my drive G: on my iomega portable harddrive, I've got so much history and programs on my harddrive F:

Any suggestions, Then I can look it up on Ebay

Thanks
Andy!
Posted on 2005-07-09 18:52:21 by andy981
You might not be able to boot directly from your portable drive - what do you want? To boot from your portable drive, or to transfer your bootable drive to the portable one? After that, what do you want to do?
Posted on 2005-07-09 21:02:49 by f0dder
I allready have computer partitioned and choice of two operating systems to start from Windows 2000 and 98, I rarely use 98, what I'd like is 3 operating systems to work from, I just trying to back up my F drive, I only got one gig left on F: drive, I guess I want to save a working copy of my F:/ drive's system, I've been handicapped for space but my computer is getting older and I want to be ready in case it crashes, Do you know of programs you have used to transfer, one computers system files and settings, well to avoid the hard task of putting all your programs from one computer to the next computer. I'm just confused what to get
Posted on 2005-07-09 21:46:45 by andy981
You need some drive imaging program - and there's quite a few to choose from. I used to use "ghost" back in the old days, but don't know how the quality after norton/symantec purchased it. You should look into Acronis True Image, it seems to be very useful. I haven't had much experience with it yet, but there's a lot of nice features - including the boot-time tool that lets you make/restore images. It's based on linux, but actually works pretty well ;)

Even though I haven't had that much experience with it, I have enough that I'm going to buy 10 licenses for the museum where I work as an IT admin - it's going to make my life a lot easier.

http://www.acronis.com/
Posted on 2005-07-10 01:11:17 by f0dder
http://www.ranish.com/part/
my definite tool
For two days I had been trying to move all data from an 8GB win2k machine to an 80GB new one, until I remembered this app :) . For less than an hour(because the old HDD was sloow) it automatically did all the copying, and there were absolutely no problems for win2k having been moved.

Ah, and ... Partition Magic 7.0 - never use it. Sooner or later it will bring A LOT OF TROUBLE to you. Even people who have used it successfully for years (have been extremely lucky), eventually come back to tell how they lost all their data - on the last time they use PM7.
Posted on 2005-07-10 14:27:10 by Ultrano
I paid for Acronis Trueimage because it works really well, handle very large partitions and is super reliable. Even if your boot drive gets trashed and the box won't start, you can restart it with an Acronis boot CD then overwrite the boot partition with a full image backup. Just make the boot CD then back up the image on another drive, writable DVD or whatever ese you like and you are safe from serious disk crashes or severe virus/trojan damage.
Posted on 2005-07-10 21:02:17 by hutch--
Ah, and ... Partition Magic 7.0 - never use it. Sooner or later it will bring A LOT OF TROUBLE to you. Even people who have used it successfully for years (have been extremely lucky), eventually come back to tell how they lost all their data - on the last time they use PM7.

It reminds me of something... :/    NEVER use Partition Magic :/  Mine was 7.0. ..and of course I lost my largest partition with most important data on it...
Posted on 2005-07-11 16:03:31 by ti_mo_n
You can just copy it all directly with WinME, it may work with other OS (a single partition drive)

Make an emergency boot floppy
Copy it all over to the new drive except the win386.swp file in WINDOWS.

Then make the copied drive your master drive and boot with the floppy choosing
"without cd rom support"

repair the boot sector using the command
sys c:

The message
"system transferred"
means you're ok and have an exact copy.

Only used it for fixed drives, but you might be able to tweak the motherboard BIOS at startup to use an external drive.
Posted on 2005-07-11 22:56:06 by eek

You can just copy it all directly with WinME, it may work with other OS (a single partition drive)

If you use FAT32 partitions, that is... if you're not using Win9x, you should of course be using NTFS.
Posted on 2005-07-12 00:38:30 by f0dder
lookup bartpe.  really useful for system rescue type stuff.  it installs winxp files to a pre execution environment on a cd and then there are plugins for things like ghost, partition magic, etc.  you can also read/write ntfs files so it's good for repairing damaged installations.  ~200mb so it may work on a usb stick, haven't tried.
Posted on 2005-07-17 09:33:54 by grv575

you can also read/write ntfs files so it's good for repairing damaged installations

And it is *SAFE* NTFS access, since BartPE uses the XP (or 2003) windows kernel.

If anybody gets it working from an USB stick let me know :)
Posted on 2005-07-17 10:46:30 by f0dder