Hi folks, just a quick question here: if I use the wininet.dll API to download files using the http/shttp protocols, what kind of user interaction can I expect? I mean, will the dialer pop up? Or if IE hasn't been run for the first time, will the Internet Connection Wizard pop up instead?

Thanks for your time. :)
Posted on 2005-07-18 11:56:06 by QvasiModo
I think the dialer will allways pop up if you do winsock calls and the user isn't connected (and wininet builds on winsock, of course :)). Dunno about the configuration wizard; I wouldn't think so, but one never knows.

Guess it's time to set up some windows images in vmware and fool around :p
Posted on 2005-07-18 12:50:13 by f0dder

I think the dialer will allways pop up if you do winsock calls and the user isn't connected (and wininet builds on winsock, of course :)).

Good point, should have thought of that! :mrgreen:

Dunno about the configuration wizard; I wouldn't think so, but one never knows.

Guess it's time to set up some windows images in vmware and fool around :p

Seems so. How boring. :sad:
Posted on 2005-07-20 11:59:30 by QvasiModo
f0dder that's inaccurate.. pure winsock calls won't pop up a dialler, but he's not using pure winsock calls, he's using wininet, which is actually a component of Internet Explorer, and as such, triggers the dialler popup IF IE IS CONFIGURED TO ALLOW THIS.
If you've configured IE to dial on demand, it'll popup a dialler, and possibly start dialling.
If you've told IE to NEVER DIAL, you won't get a dialler popup at all.
Anyhow, it's a better idea to check if theres an active internet connection early in your application, then you can forget all about dialler popups and IE configuration etc.
Just a side note, I have NO IDEA what happens if you're not using IE as your browser, but I assume that nothing changes.
Wininet is a component of IE these days, but its not a "core component".
( reminds me of political 'core and non core promises' :P )
Posted on 2005-07-21 01:29:37 by Homer
Hm, I thought winsock would cause the dialer; that's the impression I got back in the win9x days of modeming. Guess all the apps I used back then either used wininet or manually invoked the dialer of not connected (Ras* APIs?) :|
Posted on 2005-07-21 01:33:51 by f0dder
Back in those days yes, but in around 2002, wininet became an IE component, I assume the changes to winsock occurred simultaneously.
Posted on 2005-07-21 01:36:02 by Homer
Actually you can pop up a dialer under Win9X, just using winsock calls. Attempting to get the IP for localhost does that if I remember correctly.

It's all the same anyway, I'm using wininet (which in turn uses winsock too). I'm concerned for *any* user interaction in the process.
Posted on 2005-07-21 09:58:24 by QvasiModo
I almost forgot about this thread :D

Anyway, I couldn't find any "unexpected" UI dialogs in any of the boxes I tried. So it's possible to use the wininet API, even run proxy autodetection scripts, with no user interaction at all. Which is what I wanted. :)
Posted on 2005-07-28 16:28:20 by QvasiModo