http://www.artlebedev.com/portfolio/optimus/

I particularly like the quake setting!

Mirno
Posted on 2005-07-19 04:22:32 by Mirno
It's hilarious how in blogs people write "it's got tiny LCDs" rotflmao. Such people called LEDs "lamps", now OLEDs this... Anyway - back to the keyboard: It being black, is a major disadvantage, imho. Also, imho, it'll be useful only for bragging, "desperate geek" style.
I'd have said good and encouraging stuff for this project if they were even a bit serious. Just read the FAQ...
Posted on 2005-07-19 07:04:30 by Ultrano
The buttons beeing black is a major disadvantage?  :shock:
Posted on 2005-07-19 07:19:15 by JimmyClif
not cool. i prefer Tracer Ultratouch ;) i don't like the standard layout, because it's too .. . .'wide'  :|
Posted on 2005-07-19 10:26:39 by ti_mo_n

The buttons beeing black is a major disadvantage? :shock:

Try pulling all-nighters with a black keyboard. I don't know for most people, but everybody I know, including me, wouldn't use a black keyboard to work at night.
Posted on 2005-07-19 11:21:48 by Ultrano

Try pulling all-nighters with a black keyboard. I don't know for most people, but everybody I know, including me, wouldn't use a black keyboard to work at night.

i don't see the problem  :lol:
Posted on 2005-07-19 11:39:49 by Tola

The buttons beeing black is a major disadvantage? :shock:

I do that often, without any problems :)

I think the keyboard is pretty "cute", but although it's mainly a "desperate geek show-off gizmo", it might have some serious uses as well - consider switching between traditional english, DVORAK and some special (chinese, russian, ...) layouts - in such a case, the OLEDs would be nice (although it's probably mostly useful in the learning phase, and as a visual clue to the layout you're currently using).
Posted on 2005-07-19 12:13:32 by f0dder
I vote for the last one argument of f0dder...

I normally can wrote without look at the kb for 2 secs... normally, and if I get a incorrect result, I know wich key I pressed, the thing is about positioning, I can write a whole word bad if I have not "centered" my hands in the kb.

I have liked a kb that look flourecent... (like blue).... there will be not electric need for iluminate the keys at night....
Posted on 2005-07-19 13:44:59 by rea
rea,

As a matter of fact I just saw a kb like that a little while ago. (http://www.eluminx.com/)

---

If I'd keep my room dark and just use the glow of the monitor to code then I'd understand the black button beeing bad argument, but we all know how bad that is for the eyes :)
Posted on 2005-07-19 14:31:41 by JimmyClif
Using organic led`s?? Be prepared to replace the keyboard every ten month. Personally I'll definitely want to pay around 200 usd (probably it'll cost even more) for a new kb every year.

But nevertheless it's a nice idea.
Posted on 2005-07-19 17:39:28 by arafel
You always can close your eyes :)...

By the way, that was the kb that I saw :), I like it how it look.

Hehe, I have a idea, get a drill (is like that writed?), and drill the words in the kb, then put if posible a lamp or best a led under the keys, and tada... you have a kb with light.. lol :)... will pass some time even for get the drill.. lol.
Posted on 2005-07-19 17:42:50 by rea
Hmm I have actually had very bad impression from all black keyboards I've tried - but probably not because of their color, if I think on it. True sometimes I code and draw on the PC while being in a dark room ^^". I guess only one type of keyboard is suitable for me - a "turbo-plus", featuring the best feedback and speed I've ever seen, and the turbo+F7 coding speedup :> .

btw,rea, the keyboard design you mentioned has been available for years on thinkgeek
Posted on 2005-07-20 16:11:33 by Ultrano
turbo-plus keyboard? Wuzzat? Oh, and btw, most (PS/2 anyway) keyboards can't handle more than a few simultaneous keypresses... my brothers have been complaining about that while gaming, got any bets for good keyboards? (PS/2 would be preferred, but USB would be OK as well...)
Posted on 2005-07-20 17:23:13 by f0dder
Turbo-Plus is a pretty basic white PS/2 keyboard, though the Turbo+F7 combination is useful - increases internal typematic rate a lot (more than you can in Control Panel).
I tend to think that the "chords" bug can also be caused by the input port and bios of the PC. Because this same keyboard doesn't have that bug with my PCs, while on a friend's old PC ('98) more than 5 keys block each other.
The best solution is to get a gamepad for most (non-FPS) games. Either buy one or "convert" one from any console available. I've successfully converted Sega and PSX gamepads (the PSX ones have full-featured analog sticks and force-feedback) for home use easily.
Attachments:
Posted on 2005-07-20 18:56:00 by Ultrano
I was wondering when they would come out with this type of keyboard, it is something that has crossed my mind a few times... especially with the technology we have today.
Posted on 2005-07-21 10:29:14 by SpooK