what happen?
where are all the win32asm programmers?

don't tell they all hutched over to masmforum
Posted on 2005-07-24 19:59:36 by comrade
This is the third time this question got asked for the last 0.5-1.0 year :|
I personally don't post much because either I'm busy with non-x86 projects, or I don't need help on my x86 projects :)
Posted on 2005-07-24 21:44:35 by Ultrano
Hmm, dead?

Outside of weekends, there's still new posts every day. And remember that activity comes and goes; right now there's probably still a bunch of people on vacation :)
Posted on 2005-07-25 02:24:15 by f0dder
comrade,

This forum is far from dead, SpooK has done some great work to rebuild it and modernise the software and it has a good membership rate so its not like its a problem. I know from the masmforum that there is a far higher read rate than post rate and this is because a lot of information has already been posted that is useful to many people. I would expect much te same effect here as this forum has a large archive that reflects how long it has been going.
Posted on 2005-07-25 03:41:02 by hutch--
It's the summer time that takes people off from computers.

Posted on 2005-07-25 04:33:08 by SamiP
So, hutch--, if you are saying SpooK has revitalized this board, then masmforum can move back here?
Posted on 2005-07-25 07:59:32 by comrade
It's summer?? Darn.? i need to get out more.? Just kidding, of course.? And it's not summer in the Land of Milk and hutch-- :D

Perhaps it's the lack of flaming and people asking for help with homework.
Posted on 2005-07-25 13:43:13 by jademtech

So, hutch--, if you are saying SpooK has revitalized this board, then masmforum can move back here?

It is upto hutch, I personally don't think he would even want to.
Posted on 2005-07-25 14:40:20 by SpooK
Everything has its purpose and the seperation between the win2asm forum and the masmforum has worked for both, when the win32asm forum was attacked by some idiot, I hosted Harold until he could get it back up again and when the masmforum was attacked, Harold did the same in return. It is just that they are different concepts, the win32asm forum is a community forum where the masmforum is a directly technical forum that primarily supports masm and GoAsm. Much the same comment with Tomasz's FASM forum, it is well tuned to support FASM and has a life of is own.

I see that diversity is more useful and flexible than concentration at one location and it caters for a wider range of people by being diverse. I just hope that the regulars support SpooK in the work he has done to get this forum up and going again so that it remains a community.
Posted on 2005-07-25 21:04:11 by hutch--
People shouldn't think of these multiple communities as "separation" as much as they should be thought of "overlapping" in our collective interests. Between all of the communities, you should find the answers you need ;)

Fortunately for hutch, masmforum.com is blooming. I have personally revamped win32asmcommunity.net to cut out the "fat" by enforcing our community rules (i.e. being hard handed with malicious code development/enforcing mutual respect/not allowing other's work to be done for them/etc...); the side effect is that the board seems dead now.

I am thinking once everything stabilizes again (I am far from finished with all the enhancements/modifications I want to do), more people will be active here again.
Posted on 2005-07-27 16:12:51 by SpooK
SpooK,

I think its only seasonal myself, the northern hemisphere summer gets people ouside rather than learning or writing software and its normal to have a sag here and there but the fundamentals of the work you have done is the groundwork for the continuation of what started as a very good forum and one that has served a lot of people well over time.

A community is a harder balancing act than a directly technical forum but it is a necessary facility to have available as there are more motives for writing computer software than purely technical interests.

Now in case anyone has missed it, SpooK has my full support in underaking a task like revamping an existing forum. It is actually harder than creating a new one in that it has an existing membership and a long history. Iczelion was the founder of this forum and he was at least as intolerant of nonsense as I was when I worked here and I am pleased to see that SpooK will ensure that legal content, good manners and common sense will prevail here.

The moderators are a good team of guys who will both help out with quesions and ensure that te forum runs properly so I would recommend that everyone support the work that SpooK is doing here as it benefits everyone in the long haul.

Regards,

hutch at movsd dot com
Posted on 2005-07-27 18:56:27 by hutch--

what happen?
where are all the win32asm programmers?

don't tell they all hutched over to masmforum

cuz this is the time of year that students go home...
Cheers,
Randy Hyde
Posted on 2005-07-27 19:58:19 by rhyde

there is a far higher read rate than post rate and this is because a lot of information has already been posted that is useful to many people.

It tooks 5+ years but people finally learned that there is a search button. Good news indeed? :)
Posted on 2005-07-28 09:14:30 by pelaillo

Perhaps it's the lack of flaming and people asking for help with homework.

More good news ;)
Posted on 2005-07-28 09:56:09 by QvasiModo
I have personally revamped win32asmcommunity.net to cut out the "fat" by enforcing our community rules (i.e. being hard handed with malicious code development/enforcing mutual respect/not allowing other's work to be done for them/etc...);

Even more good stuff :)

the side effect is that the board seems dead now.

Better dead than full of useless info (what actually means the same).

But, of course, it's not dead 8)
Posted on 2005-07-28 15:23:54 by ti_mo_n
I've been busy working saving money for next year, working on with microprocessors and MCU's in my electronics and am revamping my emu :D

I havent been visiting much as I used to.

I also managed to snag a used Thinkpad T23, very nice laptop indeed, very useful and fairly fast for an oldie!
Posted on 2005-07-28 16:36:04 by x86asm
cuz this is the time of year that students go home...

I ain't no StooDent!
Posted on 2005-07-29 20:45:10 by drhowarddrfine
http://www.masmforum.com/simple/index.php?topic=1991.new#new

An important topic you must be concerned.

I'd talk with someone who learn asm and then he learn a little of pascal and knows C API, Python and HTML I guess, etc.
He told me that "asm was far from being alive", the time is gold; and I don't know what will happen?

Posted on 2005-07-29 22:40:55 by Xor Stance
:mrgreen:

> I ain't no StooDent!

Come on Doc, were all StooDents, just not in college anymore.
Posted on 2005-07-30 00:24:04 by hutch--
Who says it's dead... there are 5 VB6 threads today and 2 .NET ones :)
Posted on 2005-07-30 22:57:23 by JimmyClif