I also managed to snag a used Thinkpad T23, very nice laptop indeed, very useful and fairly fast for an oldie!

You can get a decent laptop for $800 from FutureShop (a Toshiba Satellite) and TigerDirect (an Acer TravelMate)
Posted on 2005-07-31 09:32:51 by comrade
Also, remember that all these assembly forums starting up is causing a watering down effect.

Paul
Posted on 2005-08-01 10:01:00 by PBrennick
I ain't no watered down effect.
Posted on 2005-08-01 13:21:00 by drhowarddrfine
Of course not, you do not have a forum.  ;)

Paul
Posted on 2005-08-01 13:39:09 by PBrennick
Hey Doc,

Now you have been diluted.  :mrgreen:

Regards,

hutch at movsd dot com
Posted on 2005-08-01 17:35:35 by hutch--
I'm worried about spammers that spam the board and they just register with abusive names. Last year when I was checking the first members there was a member name that doesn't fit. I already pause putting useless stuffs, but I know
I didn't like someone telling a Attention G**k, so foolish good that stupid people like them got scare away by my trick.
In reality I was lost into a mind confusion and started any nonesense, good that it was cure.

I knew some member names were just against me, but don't know if they really are. I guess yes, at least I can learn asm
healthier I'm able to ignore them and they don't even know. They can be High-level language fools wandering around against superiority, in masmforum some roedors ate the cheese and I even encounter them here(in my ear sound). :)
Posted on 2005-08-01 20:49:39 by Xor Stance
Now you have been diluted.

Marriage does that to you. :P
Posted on 2005-08-02 07:59:01 by drhowarddrfine
Hmm, maybe there aren't any more things left to discuss? Are we just tired of computers? Okay, you've eliminated religious and political debates, and fights... It's hard to talk about philosophy or history without touching those subjects, mathematics is the most boring thing in the world and should be reserved for emergencies... how about archeology, physics or medicine? I guess they're still boring...

I also suspect that the board's cultish impression scares many people away. Maybe I don't want to be a member of a community of strangers I've never met, I just want to be a guy who posts at a board.

The threatening tone on this page probably doesn't help the case either :P Remember, you're not talking to your dog. You're presenting an Internet site, which you presumably would like people to make use of. There are plenty of ways to reword that so that people don't feel that they are factory workers in old Sovjet.

Well, I probably shouldn't even be making this comment. After all, as you say, "Administration and Moderation of this community is not up to debate" :P
Posted on 2005-08-05 22:45:45 by Sephiroth3

Hmm, maybe there aren't any more things left to discuss? Are we just tired of computers? Okay, you've eliminated religious and political debates, and fights... It's hard to talk about philosophy or history without touching those subjects, mathematics is the most boring thing in the world and should be reserved for emergencies... how about archeology, physics or medicine? I guess they're still boring...

I also suspect that the board's cultish impression scares many people away. Maybe I don't want to be a member of a community of strangers I've never met, I just want to be a guy who posts at a board.

The threatening tone on this page probably doesn't help the case either :P Remember, you're not talking to your dog. You're presenting an Internet site, which you presumably would like people to make use of. There are plenty of ways to reword that so that people don't feel that they are factory workers in old Sovjet.

Well, I probably shouldn't even be making this comment. After all, as you say, "Administration and Moderation of this community is not up to debate" :P

Until it is your butt on the line for allowing malicious content onto your server, which is against the hosting contract, try to be more open minded about how little room for the allowance of such attitudes there needs to be ;)
Posted on 2005-08-05 23:36:15 by SpooK
You are making a hell lot of sense, but still we don't want people flaming others right? Or maybe we don't want this board to be forced to be shut down due to malicious content (Sure we can also go play hide and seek, but how long can we last?). Hmm. of course we could dilute the tone, but then that would mean more moderation to be done

I think some of the posters on this forums are quite close - though we never really met before (Except for those who live near each other).
Posted on 2005-08-06 01:11:22 by roticv
Sure, what I'm saying is that it can be reworded and still say the same thing politely. Decreasing the number of unnecessary words increases the chance that people will read and understand the whole of it. Then, at the end, it can be stated that troublemakers will be roasted and eaten alive, or something to that effect.

The amount of moderation work may be reduced by updating the stated rules to include the prohibition of kinds of material that often calls for deletion and locking, but which are not mentioned in or inferrable from the existing rules.

For example, if any discussion whatsoever about reverse engineering or disassembling is disallowed, this could be stated as such, instead of as "reverese engineering for the purpose of circumventing security/protection mechanisms". And there are many cases that are classified as malicious code around here, which are really just annoyances. It would probably be better to list these as a separate rule, rather than constantly making up new silly interpretations for every post that is locked. This has to do with the impression the board makes on its spectators. Not everyone is fond of Calvinball-style boards :P Editing other people's posts with no indication that they've been edited doesn't make it look good, either.

The section about respect is counter-productive, as respect is normally something you have to earn. This will just cause people to not take the board seriously, and laugh behind your backs. The most you can ask for is courtesy.

I can't think of anything else right now...
Posted on 2005-08-06 11:55:38 by Sephiroth3
Calvinball :D

Btw, it might be a good idea to link to some examples of posts that have been closed, to show the kind of stuff that isn't allowed.
Posted on 2005-08-06 12:41:47 by f0dder

Sure, what I'm saying is that it can be reworded and still say the same thing politely. Decreasing the number of unnecessary words increases the chance that people will read and understand the whole of it. Then, at the end, it can be stated that troublemakers will be roasted and eaten alive, or something to that effect.

The amount of moderation work may be reduced by updating the stated rules to include the prohibition of kinds of material that often calls for deletion and locking, but which are not mentioned in or inferrable from the existing rules.

For example, if any discussion whatsoever about reverse engineering or disassembling is disallowed, this could be stated as such, instead of as "reverese engineering for the purpose of circumventing security/protection mechanisms". And there are many cases that are classified as malicious code around here, which are really just annoyances. It would probably be better to list these as a separate rule, rather than constantly making up new silly interpretations for every post that is locked. This has to do with the impression the board makes on its spectators. Not everyone is fond of Calvinball-style boards :P Editing other people's posts with no indication that they've been edited doesn't make it look good, either.

The section about respect is counter-productive, as respect is normally something you have to earn. This will just cause people to not take the board seriously, and laugh behind your backs. The most you can ask for is courtesy.

I can't think of anything else right now...

I doubt people will take this community any more serious with or without the rules that most people don't read anyways. It is more there for "We told you so, so don't start crying on us." Interesting arguments none-the-less.

PS: "Mutual Respect" is synonymous with "Common Courtesy".
Posted on 2005-08-06 14:51:25 by SpooK

PS: "Mutual Respect" is synonymous with "Common Courtesy".

A 'treat others as you would wish to be treated' system.
Posted on 2005-08-08 16:33:42 by invalid
One of the mistakes in laying out a set of rules is trying to be exhaustive in a quasi legal format. Like legislation it must continually be appended and interpreted and this leads to exploiting and chasing loopholes and varieties of interpretation/re-interpretation of what a particular rule means in practice. There is a far more flexible alternative and that is to dump te quasi rigid legal format and state te rules in Plain Language and indicate that tey will be enforced on the basis of INTENT.

Now this cashes out that when you have a rule that says "No Hacking information is allowed." you also exclude someone who posts a hack under the guise of anti-hacking and if you have a rule that say "No CRACKING or related information is allowed", it shuts the door on someone posting a CRACK and then commenting on how to avoid it.

The internet is awash with all varieties of tricks to circumvent stated rules and the solution is simple, enforce rules on the basis of their stated INTENT, not their literal form and the result is reliable and predictable. Make a safe place for members to post in without risk of being attacked or associated with illegal conduct and the like and they will keep posting, fail here and they will go elsewhere.

Regards,

hutch at movsd dot com
Posted on 2005-08-08 22:20:14 by hutch--
wise words.
Posted on 2005-08-11 00:22:35 by invalid

what what what?  :shock:

I must have missed the "best factory worker of the week award!!!" :lol:
if I have the right to vote, I will vote for Homer doing a great work in Game forum etc

Posted on 2005-08-11 15:21:55 by daydreamer