Hello, i was wondering if anyone know a good book to learn asm for 8086 or 8088 processor.
A tutorial is also good, but all i could find were win32 tutorials.
Posted on 2005-08-02 17:31:52 by w00
This is yet another one thread on OLD asm. Please understand that WIN32 ASM is easier than DOS-ASM, and when you learn win-asm you'll VERY easily learn the old one. 8086 is just like pentium, but with fewer instructions :P
Posted on 2005-08-02 17:38:14 by ti_mo_n
Try the E-book "The Art of Assembly Language"

http://webster.cs.ucr.edu/AoA/DOS/index.html

They have 32-bit version too.
Posted on 2005-08-03 05:05:25 by jemin
There nothing called "Win32" ASM or "DOS" ASM. Why do you keep saying that?
Posted on 2005-08-03 08:54:39 by Sephiroth3
Sephiroth, because it's nice shorthands for "32bit assembly code designed to run under windows" and "16bit assembly code designed to run under DOS" :)
Posted on 2005-08-03 09:00:33 by f0dder
More like "32bit assembly code designed to run under Windows on x86-based processors" :)
Posted on 2005-08-03 10:10:03 by Ultrano
Ah yes, there's those xScale processors running CE :)
Posted on 2005-08-03 10:33:25 by f0dder
ti_mo_n: Sorry for this reply, but I cant help myselfe ;) Even though CD's is better, and easy'er to handle than Vinyl, a lot of dj's still use vinyl ;) Its nothing wrong with learning the good old assembler, as well as Win32Asm ;)
Posted on 2005-08-03 18:08:38 by Emohawk
emohawk, a lot of those DJs do it for emotional purposes; with the right hard+software, you can do just as nice scratching and whatever in digital.

As for programming, if you're still a learner, win23 assembly is the way to go; it's easier, and you can do the 16bit dos when you know the basics.

If you really insist on starting with dos16, well, let us know - I might be able to remember a few of the things I forgot years back :) (PS: dos16 isn't "good old", it's ridden with hindrances and limitations that haven't been necessary since the 80386 chip.)
Posted on 2005-08-03 19:35:16 by f0dder
Well - the thing is, "assembly code" can name a language, but when you qualify it in any way, it doesn't anymore. It would be just as foolish to say that "programs that are 10000 lines tall" and "programs that are 20000 lines tall" name two different languages. :D
Posted on 2005-08-04 08:57:18 by Sephiroth3

"assembly code" can name a language, but when you qualify it in any way, it doesn't anymore.

Thing is you have to be a bit specific with assembly, since it's very different across platforms. If somebody says "I want to learn assembly", are you going to teach him x86, SPARC, Alpha, Arm, ... ? :)
Posted on 2005-08-04 09:05:21 by f0dder
You will like it. I using it before. http://www.emu8086.com/
Posted on 2005-08-05 07:32:12 by realvampire
Learning 16-bit DOS assembly will be good for learning how the BIOS works (and why it was used), but the architecture of the 8086 is nothing you want to spend too much time on. If you really insist on DOS, learn a 32-bit version of DOS, you will get a better idea of how assembly language is used.
Posted on 2005-08-05 15:52:54 by SpooK
Thing is you have to be a bit specific with assembly, since it's very different across platforms.

Yeah, that's true, but you get the point :P

I'm fairly sure that this street language and all the abbrevations are very confusing for people who aren't familiar with them. Most of this must look like the ramblings of a schizophrenic to outsiders. "Learn a 32-bit version of DOS", does that even mean anything?

And I'm afraid I know darn well why. At my school, they teach programming, and listening to the "professors", who may very well be random hobos, makes me think that I'm in some sort of asylum. What comes out of their mouth does not resemble anything that can be likened to sentences. Sometimes they'll jot down meaningless hieroglyphs on the blackboard which could just as well be interpreted as a message from aliens who want to eat us. I'm assuming that other schools and universities are exactly the same. They're manufacturing zillions of monkeys that can say technical sounding words, but are completely unable to communicate meaningfully with each other or with others. Only the ones who adapt to the insanities survive. Eventually, they become professors and pass on the sacred teachings someone found on a bathroom wall 30 years ago.

And this isn't just about programming or schools. The celebration of aphasia patients pervades every aspect of the modern world. Politicians, journalists and professors would prefer to destroy our cultural tradition of being intellectually advanced, mastering fine arts and inventing splendid and wonderful things, so that they can stay in power and use us as slaves. I'm worried that army schools and police schools are anything like the one I go to. Because then I might as well form my own state in the middle of a thick forest and live off mushrooms and berries.
Posted on 2005-08-05 18:29:21 by Sephiroth3
Sephiroth3, it's better here in Denmark - the universities, especially the one I'm going to attend, manages to produce some excellent programmers. The ones that aren't able to make it are filtered off relatively fast.
Posted on 2005-08-05 18:37:01 by f0dder
Sephiroth3,

Its good that you can see the nonsense but never allow yourself to be limited by it. Louis Pasteur was ridiculed in his time by conventional wisdom yet he changed the way the world saw important things. Mediocrity marches in legion to cover up its own inadequacy where useful and original ideas usually came from underfunded individuals who were not afraid to be different and were willing to do the work.

Academia is an edifice that you survive and when you get out the other end, use and abuse it to do clever and original things.

Regards,

hutch at movsd dot com
Posted on 2005-08-05 20:02:40 by hutch--
f0dder: Ah, Denmark! One of the last remnants of civilization as we know it. I'm glad to hear that. I have a few Danish ancestors myself. I'm sure your country won't go down without a good fight.

We're not so lucky up here in Norway. I have friends in several major universities who have outrageous stories to tell about their classes. It's hopeless. One of them gave up and now wants to become an intellectual property rights lawyer. Well, at least we can still make fun of s?ta bror :P

hutch--: That's so true! The world has always had its hordes of the irrational, commiting one act of stupidity after another just so they can feel warm and fuzzy for a short while, like the homeless who answers nature's call in his pants on a cold winter day. Let's hope that the frost sets in soon enough.
Posted on 2005-08-05 20:44:21 by Sephiroth3
Hehe :) - not all universities here are good, though.

Last time I looked at the DIKU courses (comp. sci. department of university of Copenhagen), it looked rather weak. Daimi (the one in Aarhus, which I'm going to attend) still looks pretty okay. Sure, they teach Java, but from what I've seen, it's done in a nice way emphasizing on algorithms etc. There's also courses in operating system design, "big systems programming", et cetera.
Posted on 2005-08-06 03:38:35 by f0dder