Hello. I'm not sure if this is the best place for this thread, but I decided to put it here since the code I'm posting will do a couple of things I haven't seen in tutorials such as using a right click menu and accelerator tables. Simple things, yes, but things I'm sure someone might be interested in. Anyway, If anyone has a few spare moments, I would appreciate some feedback on the WinNT/2000/XP/blah blah.... of my program. I've only been able to test it on my Win98 setup. Thanks guys.
Posted on 2001-12-01 21:23:01 by AlexEiffel
Works perfect on win2k.
Only thing I don't understand is why you use timeGetTime() as a default instead of QueryPerformanceCounter. I was under the impression that timeGetTime has 1ms accuracy while QueryPerformanceCounter has 1ns accuracy.

Anyway vn code...was looking for some fast double-buffering code examples and this executes blazingly on my system :)
I get around 7000-8000 fps ave...
Posted on 2001-12-01 22:14:22 by grv575
Well, I default to using timeGetTime because I was told that not all older computers have the performance counter. The init function tests for it, and if it is available, it uses the performance counter instead. Be careful with the double buffering code I used. Because I know that the screen space I am using will only be about 200 x 300 pixels (to display the FPS and Times), the bitmap I create is 200 x 300 regardless of the window size. So with a maximized screen, it only has to do the work of creating that small bitmap. I had tried it the "correct" way, but it would bring my system to a crawl with a large window size. I get about 12000 FPS with my p3 500. Sometimes it drops to and stays at about 4000 and I cant figure out why. I think it might just be my system since it is is badly in need of a reformating. I am still looking for some fast double buffering code myself, heh :grin: Thanks for taking a look at it grv575 :alright:
Posted on 2001-12-01 22:35:18 by AlexEiffel
works fine on my w2k sp2. running about 7400fps
Posted on 2001-12-02 11:54:20 by planejanez