Hey Hiro,

I was giving Iczelion's site another once over and for the hell of it decided to click on Ates - MASM code tips/tricks (Q & A) and it gave me an idea.

I just finished reading a post earlier by f0dder and how hez hacking out how to use hot-keys and bring a window into the forground/focus. It sounds like he has it figured out, and its neat now, but a month from now it will be burried. Unless you got the right search key word you probably wont find it again.

So my idea was why not make a forum in a Q&A index style like Ates has done. For example, f0dder then takes his source and/or description to get it done, and fills out a form "HOW TO: xxxx" and submits his solution.

Lastly, the forum's theads will all have a HOW TO: header or something, where we can browse them... That way as people figure out k00l tricks, they can be better preserved for other people in the future...

Anywho, im sure there is some legistical problems to consider, but as a whole this was my idea....

NaN
Posted on 2001-12-02 01:24:14 by NaN
i totally agree to NaN. this idea is pretty cool! you just create a new HOWTO section and everyone posts his tricks there. of course, the should stay in code snippets, and not whole programs. the idea is not to paste whole source codes, but just the important stuff.....

nop
Posted on 2001-12-02 03:17:23 by NOP-erator
Yeah hiro, get off your arse and give us what we want :].
Posted on 2001-12-02 12:21:44 by f0dder
f0dder, I fear your bark has scared off the kitten in charge... :grin:

NaN
Posted on 2001-12-06 14:49:12 by NaN
but right now I'm thinking about how to implement upload freedom for you while still maintaining a certain amount of control.

Basically I want (for example) Ketilo to be able to upload and change his radasm at will but i don't want just anything uploaded immediately :-/ So I'm thinking about that right now.

Also I'm thinking about which subjects the 'code-library' should have :-/

suggestions are very welcome
Posted on 2001-12-06 16:51:29 by Hiroshimator
NaN's idea is nothing less than brilliant, and IMHO desperately needed for this board. Many a time have I seen newbies accused of "asking the same questions".
Basically I want (for example) Ketilo to be able to upload and change his radasm at will but i don't want just anything uploaded immediately
Hiro, I'm not sure what you exactly mean by this but how about granting access privileges for those with "bigger" projects?
Also I'm thinking about which subjects the 'code-library' should have
I suggest we just add a new subject/category whenever there's a new entry which won't fit to existing ones. That might mean having a 'misc' category. Also, I'm not sure but I think www.dmoz.org works though volunteer editors who take care of the specific categories they choose. Maybe we can try that. If you like, I can help with the PHP scripting. ;)

// btw, the last post dates 1206. I hope this isn't one of those important topics that just die off...

.pix
Posted on 2001-12-12 19:18:01 by pixelwise
the PHP isn't the problem. I have nice books and the web at my disposal :grin:

the integration with the board is :-/

this board is a code-mess IMO, there are no comments and it's all in templates spread all over. Which is fine if you're one of the developers but if you're not, like me, then you spend more time figuring out where to change what then writing it new. But then I don't have board integration :-/

Basically I want 1 log-in for everything, this I have already. check www.win32asmcommunity for proof :P
Posted on 2001-12-12 21:06:32 by Hiroshimator
Well I'll give some of my viewpoint while laying out the table data as it is right now ;)

the system is like this:

We have a project, this can be a collection of pages (tutorial) or files or both. for example we need people to be able to pass in a tutorial while attaching files at the same time, without needing a direct link to an exterior site.

a Project has
a name :grin:, a description, an accesscounter (why not), a status (like in progress, finished, dead :grin: ), a type (tutorial, file, routine, research,...) and some keywords to facilitate searching. Add in some Controlvariables like visibility, date of creation, created by, etc.. and you get

mysql_query("CREATE TABLE `win32asmP_Project` (
`ProjectID` INT(10) UNSIGNED NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT PRIMARY KEY,
`StartStamp` TIMESTAMP NOT NULL,
`CreatedBy` INT(10) UNSIGNED NOT NULL,
`ProjectName` VARCHAR(50) NOT NULL,
`ProjectDescription` TINYTEXT,
`ProjectClosed` TINYINT(1) UNSIGNED,
`ClosedReason` TINYTEXT,
`AccessCounter` INT(10) UNSIGNED,
`Visible` TINYINT(1) UNSIGNED,
`ProjectStatus` TINYINT UNSIGNED,
`ProjectType` TINYINT UNSIGNED,
`keywords`TINYTEXT
);");

Now to each project, the projectowner(s) (yes plurial too) must be able to attach one or more files, regardless of the files added before (I'll probably put a limit on it) so you can have a sortof history through versions, in case something goes wrong and people have to downgrade.

File attachment I saw like this:
a file has a name, it's size, description,downloadcounter, the uploader, date of upload and some security features (maybe I should add MD5 :-/) while associated with 1 single project.

which get's you:
mysql_query(" CREATE TABLE `win32asmP_Files`(
`FileID` INT(10) UNSIGNED NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT PRIMARY KEY,
`ProjectID` INT(10) UNSIGNED NOT NULL,
`UploadedBy` INT(10) UNSIGNED NOT NULL,
`UploadedOn` TIMESTAMP,
`FileName` VARCHAR(100) NOT NULL,
`FileSize` INT(10) UNSIGNED NOT NULL,
`FileDescription` TINYTEXT,
`AvailableForDownload` TINYINT(1) UNSIGNED,
`DownloadCounter` INT(10) UNSIGNED,
`File` BLOB
);");

Also available to a project I wanted to have tutorialpages, that advance via <- and -> (or something ;) ). These just have content, pagenumber (for their order), accesscounter (for the vain ones :grin: ), title and some security and info things (like who, when, viewable, etc...)

resulting into:
mysql_query(" CREATE TABLE `win32asmP_Pages`(
`PageID` INT(10) UNSIGNED NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT PRIMARY KEY,
`LastChangeOn` TIMESTAMP,
`LastChangeBy` INT(10) UNSIGNED NOT NULL,
`Title` VARCHAR(100) NOT NULL,
`Content` TEXT,
`PageNumber` TINYINT UNSIGNED,
`ViewCounter` INT(10) UNSIGNED,
`UploadedOn` TIMESTAMP,
`UploadedBy` INT(10) UNSIGNED NOT NULL,
`AvailableForViewing` TINYINT(1) UNSIGNED
);");

As I said before 1 project cn have multiple owners:
mysql_query("CREATE TABLE `win32asmP_Owners`(
`OwnerID` INT(10) UNSIGNED NOT NULL
);");

I was also thinking of adding notifications for when the project was updated :-/

mysql_query(" CREATE TABLE `win32asmP_Notifications` (
`NotificationID` INT(10) UNSIGNED NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,
`MemberID` INT(10) UNSIGNED NOT NULL,
`Active` TINYINT(1) UNSIGNED
);");

And I thought that every projectowner should be able to post a bit news, like a mini revision log :)
mysql_query(" CREATE TABLE `win32asmP_ProjectNews` (
`NewsID` INT(10) UNSIGNED NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,
`PostedOn` TIMESTAMP,
`PostedBy` INT(10) UNSIGNED,
`News` MEDIUMTEXT NOT NULL
);");

And I just make some subsections (download, algorithm, tutorial,...)
mysql_query("CREATE TABLE `win32asmP_SubSections` (
`SubSectionID` INT(10) UNSIGNED NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT PRIMARY KEY,
`SubSectionName` VARCHAR(50) NOT NULL
);");

so that people can give their project a fitting description which will hopefully facilitate searching :tongue:
mysql_query("CREATE TABLE `win32asmP_SubsectionsPerProject` (
`SubSectionID` INT(10) UNSIGNED NOT NULL
);");

At board lvl I modified the user table so that I can have multiple options for people that may create, update delete (yourself/others),...
The only problem I have there is that I want to be able to go via my admin panel to adjust these options and I'm not sure where to find it exactly (lots of templates :-/)

I also am inspirationless about a layout or further options, so please just give as many suggestions as you can :)

-H-
Posted on 2001-12-12 21:33:40 by Hiroshimator
I'm sorry I give it to you as this, but I just wrote it all down on paper and copying everything would be an immense amount of trouble :grin: ;)

I hope it's clear like this, it's the general idea I wanted to bring across :)

-H-

I moved the post from feedback to main so more people can have their say on it. :)
Posted on 2001-12-12 21:39:03 by Hiroshimator
Hiro, what about sub-projects?
It would be really handy for all the add-ins and the packages being developed specifically for shipping with Masm32 (tutes)

Also I'd like to say I will be absolutely overjoyed when things are up and running even without the sub-projects :grin:. Great work!
Posted on 2001-12-13 12:56:45 by Qweerdy
the PHP isn't the problem. I have nice books and the web at my disposal

the integration with the board is :-/

Being a PHP web-app (and complete with bells and whistles too), I'm sure the design of this msgboard is 3-tier, or at least 2- (because it can't be 1- :grin: ). So, as long as the layers (database - logic - gui/html) are as independent from each other as possible, the "integration" part is not an issue. I assume by that word you mean being able to add the new features you listed without messing up (more :grin: ) the existing code, right?

the system is like this ...
... ...

Sounds like SourceForge + WikiWiki to me :grin:

As I write this post I can already think of ways of implementing some of the features you listed, without looking at the existing PHP code but only the sql dump of the database structure. And if we mean the same thing with "templates" (i.e, all the HTML stuff separated from the PHP logic layer) and this board's implemented that way, then that's even better because we can have someone work on (for example) the Projects module, another on the Tutorials module, etc..., and one on the HTML templates to maintain a consistent look throughout the site. Anyway, my point is, the database is most important and new features/scripts should not be dependent on existing ones. In the case of your admin panel, adding a new feature (i.e, deleting lame projects, etc... :grin: ) need not mean messing with the old code. You can always write a new script. Not from scratch, because you already have the existing HTML and you can copy-paste-modify-a-little the SQL queries.

And oh!, I just remembered. I've seen some (poorly designed) WebApps where each "HTML template" is a separate include() file for the <HEAD>...</HEAD> section, another file for the <BODY>...PHP messed-up with HTML...</BODY>, and still another for the footer. I hope this board's not done that way, although by re-reading your post I now suspect it is :( . What I usually do in such cases is leave the "legacy" code ( usually code I wrote 10 months ago :grin: ) the way it is. I just run the script through the browser, save it as .html file, then strip of the "variable" stuff from the file, and from that come up with a "real" complete template.

Anyway, with my bad english I'm not sure if you're getting all of what I'm saying. I'll just go over your post again and see if there's anything else I can suggest.

.pix
Posted on 2001-12-14 01:30:58 by pixelwise
Back to the Idea of collection informations :-)

If wanted ,i offer a website where people can submit the information ,like text or source.

to submit a information whe can use the good old email and then fine handwork to make the right place for the right thing :-)

for searching the site whe can use javascript.
if there is interrest i start working soon on the page.
for me there is no need of flash or big loading images...a simple good usable site is better i think.

if people like to build up a team for making such a page i also offer my help for making what is needed :-)

just post your comments and if all is clear i think next week the page can be up and working.
Posted on 2001-12-14 09:48:04 by Max
I think Nan's idea is a good one. For those of you out there that haven't come across this sort of thing before (and there will be some of you), this is called a Knowledge Base, i.e. a database full of knowledge that has been categorised. Microsoft has been doing it for years (i had to go and mention them, didn't i :)), and it works really well.

IMO, the best way to get into it is have a simple search screen where the user can type their keywords, having a TOC style entry could involve too much maintenance.

Hiro, if you are looking for volunteer moderators to help with it, count me in, that way i get to see the good stuff first :alright:
Posted on 2001-12-15 05:21:46 by sluggy
So my idea was why not make a forum in a Q&A index style like Ates has done. For example, f0dder then takes his source and/or description to get it done, and fills out a form "HOW TO: xxxx" and submits his solution.

I think that old good snippets collection is best. I mean source code collection and index file (www.snippets.org). Why ? You can manage and search it easily. And of couse download the whole archive for offline browsing.

You can easily to build eny type interface for browse and search snippets. Ex. web based or little program for it. When you tired another person can easily to continue upkeep archive, whitout knowledge of builded web system.
Posted on 2001-12-16 08:10:29 by Torak
At last i dont know from what whe are speaking here ?!?
later times i found the : Algorithms & Source Code
section and now i start filling it in the hope others will follow !

for me there is no more i need ;)
Posted on 2001-12-18 07:44:27 by Max
I think this idea has gone past us before but it will still suffer from the same problems as before, someone has to do the work, server disk space and bandwidth is limited and you could end up with a mountain of crap as the result.

I get to see some of the members's sites from time to time and what I would like to see is a page of links to larger bodies of example code at different members sites.

The risk with overloading current facilities is that you can lose all of it where if you distribute the range over a number of sites, no single site gets overworked.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com

(In absentia down the south coast of the state where I live in Australia)
Posted on 2001-12-23 21:04:05 by hutch--