Basically i have read High Level assembly.
and some of the tuts on this board.
i was wondering because i don't really know the standard requirements of asm, to do any type of meaningful program
what books would you lot suggest on:
Win-dos-asm
Lin-asm
windows-asm
graphics-asm

thanx

Damnation

Posted on 2005-09-01 13:49:16 by Damnation
Common guys, books, sites, tutorials, anything, i need to learn asm, dos would be the best first, although i am doing the tuts from this site.
they are great, i haven't done them all yet, but i feel i really should know the fundementals. instead of jumping head first into Win32 apps.
i am sure some of you have some excellent sites to suggest : o)

Damnation
Posted on 2005-09-03 11:07:04 by Damnation
Hello,

I don't think there is any books on win32asm that is worth buying, though there are others who would think otherwise. Anyway, the usual recommendation is raed the Iczelion's tutorial and my recommendation is http://www.win32asmcommunity.net/phpwiki/
Posted on 2005-09-03 12:40:44 by roticv
i see, thanx for the link, i've brought hla book, then found out if was free (doh)
i saw a book on amazon that 'sounded' good, but when it comes down to it i don't know, but it was just over 50
and seeing as i got my baby on the way (24th dec) and i got a room to decorate, i couldn't waste the cash *sob*
Posted on 2005-09-03 12:44:16 by Damnation
Maybe you can read it while decorating the room?
Posted on 2005-09-03 12:59:26 by roticv
well it was a toss up, 50+ for a book,
or 50+ for paint and brushes (wouldn't need new brushes, but my other half doesn't seem to know how to clean them after she uses them)

but thank you for the suggestions
Posted on 2005-09-03 13:02:01 by Damnation
Damnation,

I think this is a good book for learning MASM. It's a college textbook so it's a bit on the expensive side. You get a licensed copy of MASM 6.15 with the book. If you do get it, make sure and get the 4th Edition.

Assembly Language for Intel-Based Computers (4th Edition)

Posted on 2005-09-03 17:13:36 by Greg
Damnation,

I would be inclined to have a good look at Randy Hyde's HLA and his historical AOA work at his Websters site. Cost is low ($ZERO) and its good stuff to start on. With an arrival date in December I doubt you will have much time after that for a while so maybe keeping the other half happy with some paint brushes is a good idea as the best information on current assembler programming is on the internet anyway.

The reference material once you start to get the swing of it is very good, Design manuals from Intel, AMD and of course the Windows APIs from MSDN, the PLATFORMSDK or the old Winhelp format WIN32.HLP and by the time your expected new arrival is old enough for you both to get some sleep again, you will have the background to jump into any of a number of very good assemblers.
Posted on 2005-09-03 20:45:38 by hutch--
Thanx hutch will do.
thanx greg, i will enquire into purchasing a copy of that book, unfortunatly, i have a -125 debt to my nan, loaned some to get a very beautiful cot for my unborn daughter. think its time for extra hours of work.

but if anyone has an links other than those provided here, that would help me understand the cpu arch-tech, graphics on the asm side or anything to do with asm really, hit my mail please Damnation.85@gmail.com

o there is one thing, i have been wondering, i have the sdk thingy, first time i dl'd on 56k it moofed up, but on my 1mb it dl'd fine, i see things about directx and opengl and how to use the functions. i was wondering can u use the functions straight off, or do u need to push things onto the stack in a certain order?

i was looking at the QT lib for windows/lin menus but its a C++ thing (forgot the word, that it referenced to) does this mean no chance of using it in asm?

(sorry if these questions sound stupid, its just i worked on pol a emu for a game called ultima online, and well its a scripting language, so i am trying to adjust from Major limitiations, to pritty much no limits.)

Thanx Damnation
Posted on 2005-09-04 03:38:18 by Damnation