I am writing my own os, but I don't have floppy drive, I am using DVD+RW instead. I want to put everything in the dvd(bootloader, kernel, etc), just like knoppix.
I had read the “El Torito??? Bootable CD-ROM Format Specification Version 1.0, it describes in detail how to format a CD-ROM, but there are something I don't understand.
In my case, which media type(floppy, harddisk, no emulation) should I used?
And the paper said that it can using INT 13h to read data from cd-rom, but it has not describe in detail how to use INT 13h to read data and how can I write the data to dvd+rw at specify position?

I wrote a simple bootstrap, use nero to burn bootable dvd, then boot it up, it works. I don't know how to load my second bootloader and kernel.
Posted on 2005-09-03 14:09:31 by hongmaster
I am going to attach a boot CD example in NASM (from a project called BCOS), but it is really up to you to study and understand it. Good luck.
Attachments:
Posted on 2005-09-03 21:06:17 by SpooK
Try googling for a windows version of "mkisofs" - or use a tool like UltraISO from EZB systems... should be a little more intuitive than doing all the work by source/hand :)
Posted on 2005-09-03 21:11:27 by f0dder
In the Validation Entry, the checksum is 0x1284, why not 0x7DD9?

It is really an excellent example, I studied it and then now I can put my os in dvd.

By the way, I am using DVD Decrypter to write the bin file into DVD+DW, it works.
Posted on 2005-09-07 13:46:25 by hongmaster

In the Validation Entry, the checksum is 0x1284, why not 0x7DD9?

It is really an excellent example, I studied it and then now I can put my os in dvd.

By the way, I am using DVD Decrypter to write the bin file into DVD+DW, it works.

Are we talking DVD or DVD/RW. Also, are we talking about a hobby OS (i.e. one that almost could fit on a floppy) for a full blown OS?
Posted on 2005-09-07 15:07:13 by SpooK