The subject says it all really. I just bought a new MSI motherboard and this piece came with it. My asking this question more out of curiosity than concern becasue I don't believe its a crucial part, I just can't figure what it could be used for.

Attachments:
Posted on 2005-09-23 11:02:36 by Eóin
Perhaps it could be used for support for "pretty amazingly large" coolers for CPU and GPU, or to mount casefans on? Just a guess, haven't seen them before :)
Posted on 2005-09-23 11:09:40 by f0dder
They look just like the PCI / AGP slot shields (when the slots aren't populated), but with an extra arm on them.

Maybe for suspending a fan from?

Mirno
Posted on 2005-09-23 11:43:59 by Mirno
Are the "things" for tapar the PCI... (lol, my english is bad :P)....

Another try...

Are the things for cover the PCI slot caps (or grooves... unused PCI slots in your Mother board in the back of the case)... I guess those handlers added are for when you put them or get them, they dont fall, because you can take the handle ;)...
Posted on 2005-09-23 11:49:00 by rea
I suspect I've guessed it, the motherboard supports nVidia SLI and I'm thinking now that it is designed to fit between two cards and secure the SLI bridge connecting them.

These images might give a better idea of what I mean, though they don't show this particular piece I'm pretty sure it could fit between the two cards and press down on the bridge.
Posted on 2005-09-23 12:19:42 by Eóin
Eóin,

I wonder if the MB maker has a PDF with image data in it that shows what the extra bits are for. Some of the more recent boards come with a clip to hold the back of an AGP*8 video card which I find a nuisance to put in and out so it may be just another accessory of this type.
Posted on 2005-09-23 19:13:36 by hutch--
hutch, with some of the more recent video cards, retainer systems are more than nuisances... ever seen full-length AGP or PCI-E cards that require heavy enough cooling that they take up the space from the PCI slot beneath the main AGP/PCI-Ex16 slot? Pretty nasty stuff.
Posted on 2005-09-23 19:31:44 by f0dder
damn... dual cards, thats sweet.....
* adds that to his new computer build list for next year.
Posted on 2005-09-24 01:10:47 by Damnation
Damnation, it's sweet if you want to use at least a 500W PSU, drain a lot of power and generate a lot of heat, and pay insane amount of money for less than 2x the graphical performance :)
Posted on 2005-09-24 01:22:50 by f0dder
: o(, hey i didn't read the specs, i just thought 2 cards == lotsa power. hell with my comp going we go through £1.01 a day in electric. don't think i will add those to my list : ox
Posted on 2005-09-24 03:04:31 by Damnation
  :shock:

Why would you fit two electric lawnmower engines on a motherboard...

Look at the size of those grey wires... :shock: they look like the starter cables on a car battery.

When you start that lot up it must sound like theres a boeing 747 in the room.... :D
Posted on 2005-09-27 07:16:49 by eek
I read somewhere that ATIs up coming dual card technology is alot better, it'll interesting to read some benchmark reviews when its out.
Posted on 2005-09-27 08:18:25 by Eóin
2 cards in SLI? Pah!
http://www.hkepc.com/bbs/viewthread.php?tid=475438
Now that's going to cook.

ATi's CrossfireTM is superior in some ways, but seriously flawed in others.
The interconnect between the two ATi cards is supposed to be better, so the performance should be closer to twice the speed of one card...
However in order to achieve this, ATi opted for a master/slave configuration (slave being default off the shelf SKU, and the master being a special card with extra hardware).
The other BIG problem with ATi's crossfire is they chose the Sil 1161 from Silicon Image to composit the two video streams from the cards. This chip only clocks at 165MHz, so doesn't have the bandwidth to drive a CRT at anything higher than 60Hz at 1600x1200.
If you're the sort of person spending around £700 on a pair of graphics cards, you're usually the sort of person running a bad-ass monitor higher than 60Hz...

Other than that though, the difference between nVidia & ATi's respective card interleave technologies is much of a muchness. You can't really tell "who's doing it better", because they use different architectures.

I've got an SLi capable motherboard, but never plan on using the SLi part of the feature set. It's just a damn nice motherboard :)
Personally noise (or lack of it) is much more important to me, at least once the performance gets past a certain point.

Mirno
Posted on 2005-09-27 11:24:33 by Mirno