Hey I just installed SoftIce 4.05 (wich was hard as hell, had to reboot twice etc..) but now I simply can't run it... I click on the start SoftIce button wich opens ntice.bat, this code:

net start ntice

In the console it just shows me some error message then exit... Here's the error message (translated to english):

The system error 127 has ocurred.

It wasn't possible to find the specified procedure.
Posted on 2005-10-08 22:06:18 by Lenin
Why don't you use OllyDbg. It's much more convenient for debugging userspace code, and costs 900$ less.  ;)
Posted on 2005-10-08 22:18:22 by arafel
If you're on XP, forget about softice 4.05 completely. Even on 2k, there's lots of problems with this release. You'll need a recent DriverStudio release for any of those OSes - and you're better off asking NuMega / CompuWare for support rather than this board. They'll be happy to offer that support to a paying customer (hint, hint).

Just grab OllyDbg, it's nice. If you really need kernel debugging, consider Microsofts (free) WinDbg.
Posted on 2005-10-08 22:25:28 by f0dder
I have OlyDbg, and in fact used it till yesterday, but started reading a few tutorials about debuging and all of them used SoftIce... The bad thing about Oly is that I cant see the program at run time, or atleast don't know how to, so I can't see the registers (till the program has ended) and can't do thinks like tracking an API call (like SotfIce)... Oly is fine until you have to open a big file, with lots of functions and etc... Also for some weird reasons when I change some code in Oly then hit the run button no changes are aplied...
Posted on 2005-10-08 23:21:53 by Lenin
To see the register values, you are supposed to set a breakpoint (it's the same for most debuggers) and start to trace.
Posted on 2005-10-08 23:36:40 by roticv

I have OlyDbg, and in fact used it till yesterday, but started reading a few tutorials about debuging and all of them used SoftIce... The bad thing about Oly is that I cant see the program at run time, or atleast don't know how to, so I can't see the registers (till the program has ended) and can't do thinks like tracking an API call (like SotfIce)... Oly is fine until you have to open a big file, with lots of functions and etc... Also for some weird reasons when I change some code in Oly then hit the run button no changes are aplied...

Actually you can do all that in Ollydbg. As roticv said already, you are supposed to set breakpoints.
What's so weird about Olly not being able to save modifications to file? it's not a patcher!
Posted on 2005-10-09 00:03:28 by arafel
Oh just discovered how to use breakpoints :P But isn't there any way to modify the file trough olly?
Posted on 2005-10-09 14:42:24 by Lenin
There is. Just play with it.  ;)
Posted on 2005-10-10 09:53:29 by roticv
lenin,

ollydbg is very good, and you can do lots of things with it... but dont let them fool you: softice is the best one, and everything ollydbg can do, softice can do better  8)

but, of course, softice must be buyed, and ollydbg is free

v

ps: also, beware of debugging others peoples programs with ollydbg... it have a format string exploit, thats public and will not be patched (seens olly2 is on the way)
Posted on 2005-10-10 13:21:06 by ancev