DirectX or OpenGL
What better from developer and user experience point of view :?:
Posted on 2005-10-16 15:29:11 by qwerty1000
It's been answered few times already. Please use the 'serach' feature.

I always say that OpenGL is MUCH better to start with, and DX is better for very large projects because of its better 'structure'. Also, DX is more idiot-resistant, while OGL usually fails silently, what leads to many bugs. Finally DX has less compatibility issues than OGL (I've seen OGL applications that ran on a machine, but didn't ran on the same machine with new display drivers).

So I'd sum it as follows: Play with OpenGL and switch do DX when you're really ready.

-----------

BTW: I think this should go to the FAQ. It's been asked a couple of times already.
Posted on 2005-10-16 23:53:47 by ti_mo_n

It's been answered few times already. Please use the 'serach' feature.

I always say that OpenGL is MUCH better to start with, and DX is better for very large projects because of its better 'structure'. Also, DX is more idiot-resistant, while OGL usually fails silently, what leads to many bugs. Finally DX has less compatibility issues than OGL (I've seen OGL applications that ran on a machine, but didn't ran on the same machine with new display drivers).

So I'd sum it as follows: Play with OpenGL and switch do DX when you're really ready.

-----------

BTW: I think this should go to the FAQ. It's been asked a couple of times already.

Yes I love OpenGL to death, but those silent bugs are frustrating to work with. I know some people here will remember me ages ago saying I love OpenGL but now I am switching to Direct3D. I think it will be fun to play with it. I will probably ask for some of your help guys.
Posted on 2005-11-01 12:35:05 by x86asm
If you are just a Nova,OpenGL is your orbit.
If you are the Milky Way,Direct3d is your way.
Posted on 2005-11-06 23:51:59 by iNeedSpeed

If you are just a Nova,OpenGL is your orbit.
If you are the Milky Way,Direct3d is your way.

I just obtained after few months of learning  some average knowledge on  opengl. This is so discouraging to hear that.
Posted on 2005-12-01 18:20:36 by AceEmbler