I am looking for a program that will copy files to another location on shutdown or one that'll let you just click and copy them in one step. Different files would be added on occasion. Hope that made sense. :-)

Thanks.

Oh yeah, gotta be freeware too.
Posted on 2005-12-06 17:58:19 by skywalker
There is a M$ startup one.  So what is the difference between Shutdown and Startup for you?

Regards,  P1 8)
Posted on 2005-12-07 12:56:03 by P1

There is a M$ startup one.  So what is the difference between Shutdown and Startup for you?

Regards,  P1 8)

Start may happen more often :P
Posted on 2005-12-07 16:07:58 by SpooK

Regards,  P1 8)

Hehe, certainly if you run win9x :)

Just had to fix the in-laws' old box... yet another confirmation that WinMe is the worst windows version to date. Starts more often than shutdowns for sure.

Anyway SkyWalker, as P1 said there's a startup method of doing it, that will even let you overwrite system files etc. If you just need to move some regular files on shutdown, that should be a pretty trivial problem... at least as long as the move operation only takes a few seconds.
Posted on 2005-12-07 19:04:19 by f0dder

Regards,  P1 8)

Hehe, certainly if you run win9x :)

Just had to fix the in-laws' old box... yet another confirmation that WinMe is the worst windows version to date. Starts more often than shutdowns for sure.

Anyway SkyWalker, as P1 said there's a startup method of doing it, that will even let you overwrite system files etc. If you just need to move some regular files on shutdown, that should be a pretty trivial problem... at least as long as the move operation only takes a few seconds.

Everyone seems to missing the key word in my post. COPY

I want to be able to copy some files from one location to another. I would like it automated to occur during shutdown. Ideally it would also have the option of manually doing by it a mouseclick. The files wouldn't be any system files.

Posted on 2005-12-07 19:35:26 by skywalker
What's the problem with copying a file? CopyFile/CopyFileEx. If you want to display something, you need a window/dialog. Additionally you have to postpone the shutdown process (probably requires some administrator rights) and resume it when you're done. Otherwise WinXP and alike will close you app after few seconds.
Posted on 2005-12-07 19:39:32 by ti_mo_n

What's the problem with copying a file? CopyFile/CopyFileEx. If you want to display something, you need a window/dialog. Additionally you have to postpone the shutdown process (probably requires some administrator rights) and resume it when you're done. Otherwise WinXP and alike will close you app after few seconds.

I copied this from a recent post.

Have it respond to the WM_ENDSESSION message:
- read in the file containing the list of files to copy (and a destination?) - one per line
- extract each line (from start to newline)
- copy the file
- repeat for each line
- close the list file
- return TRUE

BigGrin

Thanks.

Unfortunately I don't have the time to devote to programming anymore because of my job.
It looks like your method would work and I could manually change the list.
Posted on 2005-12-08 16:44:45 by skywalker
From a reliability point of view, with jesting aside.  Startups are more reliable and more often.  Hint:  A Blue Screen is not a Shutdown.  Niether is a power outage.

Copying that does not get done is no Copying at all.  That was my point.

Regards,  P1  8)
Posted on 2005-12-13 10:45:10 by P1

From a reliability point of view, with jesting aside.  Startups are more reliable and more often.  Hint:  A Blue Screen is not a Shutdown.  Niether is a power outage.

Copying that does not get done is no Copying at all.  That was my point.

Regards,  P1  8)

I'll dig out my code and see what I can find. I remember some that executed dos functions, so I'll just code for each file as new ones are added. I'll just run it each day.
Posted on 2005-12-13 17:25:12 by skywalker