Northeast blows. Really. This morning when I got up it was -5 degrees Fahrenheit (-20 degrees celsius) without the wind chill. That's bloody cold.

Well, guess it could be worse ;) I could be a mailman or other outside worker. Even though I work inside I still can't manage to get warm throughout the day. Too many errands lead outside sucking the heat right out of me. :-/
Posted on 2005-12-14 06:26:06 by JimmyClif
When I was in my early 20s I worked for the county maintaining and installing traffic lights.  The cold never bothered us because we knew how to dress and were moving around a lot.  I actually enjoyed that work but I'd never do it now.
Posted on 2005-12-14 09:03:23 by drhowarddrfine
I know what you mean JimmyCliff. When I was younger I enjoyed skiing, and hunting and all kinds of outdoor winter activities.
But now I only venture out when necessary, it is 13 deg F and I have to go out and finish putting out the Christmas decorations.
Its not only here in the NorthEast, but the South has been seeing cold conditions because of the way the jet stream is
dipping into the country.
Rags
Posted on 2005-12-14 10:16:57 by rags
20 deg celcius cold? Right now it's -7 and I have warm +20 within the house :)

Since Einstein everything started to be f**in' relative :P ;)
Posted on 2005-12-14 12:11:02 by ti_mo_n
My relatives have nothing to do with it.
Posted on 2005-12-14 14:25:01 by drhowarddrfine
Guys,

My heart bleeds for you. I have to suffer running around in 20 to30C temperatures wearing stubbies and a T-shirt. We did have a 40C day last week but thats unusual in December.
Posted on 2005-12-14 16:36:13 by hutch--
Go ahead Hutch rub it in..LOL
Right now its a balmy 7 F , and I have this to look forward to driving to work in tommorrow evening:

Thursday
Mostly cloudy. Snow likely in the afternoon. Highs in the upper 20s.
East winds around 5 mph...increasing to 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon.
Chance of snow 70 percent.

And this to drive back home in:

Thursday Night
Periods of freezing rain snow and sleet in the evening...then periods of freezing rain and sleet after midnight..
.possibly changing to plain rain late. Snow and sleet accumulation of 1 to 3 inches.
Not as cold with steady or slowly rising temperatures.
East winds 10 to 20 mph.

You guys from the warm climates don't know what fun your missing not being able to drive in this stuff.. :mrgreen:

Rags
Posted on 2005-12-15 00:57:14 by rags
Here I am experenicing the monsoon season. When it rains, it rains cats and dogs. When there is no rain, it is hot like there's no tomorrow. Today is a particularly hot day, though I have no idea what is the temperature. I just there is a difference between living near the equator and living further north or south.  ;)
Posted on 2005-12-15 01:37:54 by roticv
rags,

> You guys from the warm climates don't know what fun your missing not being able to drive in this stuff.

I would trade you occasionally for a massive safe ice lake and a pair of speed skates. I had plans as a kid to build ice sail boats using skating blades but we have nowhere cold enough to do it. I used to skate as winter sport at high school but you get really tired of skating around in circles. :mrgreen:

Regards,

hutch at movsd dot com
Posted on 2005-12-15 01:52:50 by hutch--
Nothing better than to butter it in everyones faces, hutch ? :)

Well, at least it helps knowing that I'm not alone. Rags, I decided to skip Christmas decorations this year. Call me a poop but I don't regret a thing until now ;) Driving in that mess is fun, well, if you got a good car and not that much traffic. I switch between a Volvo 240 and a Volvo XC 70. The newer one is nice in winter, the older one is a casket on wheels in the snow.

Maybe the cold perception is only relative to age - me too - I remember lively going to school without a jacket in winter (to be cool - haha) and can't imagine that I'd done that if I'd be as cold as nowadays where all my muscles just tighten the second I open the house door.
Posted on 2005-12-15 07:02:54 by JimmyClif

Driving in that mess is fun, well, if you got a good car and not that much traffic. I switch between a Volvo 240 and a Volvo XC 70. The newer one is nice in winter, the older one is a casket on wheels in the snow.

Jimmy,
I'm relegated to driving a 2002 Dodge Neon, due to finances, not that I wouldn't mind driving a better car.
I drive 60 miles or so each way to work, and I have no problem getting to or from work in inclement weather, as long as I give myself enough time.
The problem I have the most, is other drivers, especially the ones from the NY city, NJ metro areas(I live near the Pa, NJ state line in Pa). They fly by you in their big 4wd SUVS, getting awful close to you in the process, thinking they are invincible.
Alot of times I find them in the meridian, or ditch a few miles down the road, and have to chucle to myself.
Last year during one snowstorm, along a 20 mile stretch of highway, I counted 12 SUVs and/or pickups off the road, all had either NY or NJ license plates on them.
Rags
Posted on 2005-12-15 07:49:56 by rags
Those SUV drivers think they can't slide... I see them too.

I'm amazed that you drive 60 miles each way to work as I thought I'd be the only crazy one like that. I live close to the Massachusetts border and drive to South Connecticut to work. I pull around 50 miles each way on my car. Reason why I drive mostly the 15 year old 240 :) Most of my driving is back roads though, I only get on a 15 minute stretch of highway.
Posted on 2005-12-15 08:01:45 by JimmyClif
Jimmy,
Just the opposite here, mostly highway, little backroads. I do the commute, because my wife is from the area I am at now, and I'm originally from the area closer to my job. I had 16 years in where I work when I met my wife, and I did'nt feel like losing all that time and senority.
I've been doing the commute for 5 years now, so I've gotten used to it. I throw in a couple of CD's into the changer before I leave, and before I know it, I'm there.
I geuss there must be some truth in the phrase "gone Postal", in describing us Postal workers...LOL :mrgreen:
I operate automated mail processing equipment.

Rags
Posted on 2005-12-15 09:10:40 by rags
rags,

I can sympathise with the problem as we have similar here but without snow. The nightmare is to get trapped behind a convoy of big 4 wheel drives and a pile of "bongo" vans on a long stretch of country road. The old coupe actually has the grunt to lop you way through them and get clear but they are a nuisance and a risk on the road as they are generally badly driven and handle badly on windy road.
Posted on 2005-12-15 17:41:24 by hutch--

I would trade you occasionally for a massive safe ice lake and a pair of speed skates.

When I was young, at a nearby lake, they used to have ice racing...for automobiles.
They used to put studs in the tires for needed traction.
It was similar to dirt track racing, only done in the winter on the ice.
Rags
Posted on 2005-12-16 01:01:48 by rags
finally we got some snow in Dresden / Germany :)
Posted on 2005-12-21 06:10:02 by beaster
Hay man I love the winter we are getting here this is the mildest winter I can rember
No ice on the roads or snow to amount to much 45-60 F for all of Jan bring it on !
I am not about to bitch about this winter I'm in southwestren Ohio most winters it would be around
-10 to 35 F for jan and have frezzing rain or snow about 15 times by now
Posted on 2006-02-15 20:42:08 by rob.rice
its been bitter cold where i am, -13f(-13 degrees Fahrenheit = -25 degrees Celsius) most of the time, its been colder then its ever been, i think we are going for another ice age.
Posted on 2006-02-28 23:30:34 by Qages
This winter surprises me. It definitely has some crazy cold periods but when NY was shoveling their 6-8 feet I barely got 6 inches and usually I'm getting hammered. Won't talk to early but the weather report over here tells me that the temperature goes up over the next couple weeks. 40s here we come..
Posted on 2006-03-01 04:35:47 by JimmyClif
Hi Qages,

Since in your profile you have "Hell" for your location, I would say that -13f(-13 degrees Fahrenheit = -25 degrees Celsius) is extremely cold.  :lol:

LL
Posted on 2006-03-01 18:04:15 by LL