Hi all,

Could someone suggest a free webhost, which can provide something like ~20mb space+small bandwidth, no ads (at least no embedded ones, popup window is ok I guess), and be more or less reliable, that is, not die after a couple of month like the one I am using now.
Posted on 2005-12-25 15:21:54 by arafel
arafel,

Personally, I have friends who own a few professional web hosting companies and they give me plenty of space for helping in administration (such as writing admin tools and network utilities). But honestly only help I can give ya would be to tell you to check out these search results from google.

which can provide something like ~20mb space+small bandwidth, no ads (at least no embedded ones, popup window is ok I guess), and be more or less reliable

This shouldn't be that hard to find in the results linked to above.. also, at one time I wanted service with minimal advertising for distributing some software, so I created a Yahoo! Geocities page to store my compressed software and used eBloggy to act as the page, adding blog entries for news and updates, and links to my software on the Geocities site. That worked because eBloggy allows you to generate your own template and only asks that you insert a "Hosted by eBloggy" link somewhere in the site (anywhere). That's a really good solution for a temporary setup, and honestly looks pretty nice if you set it up right.

Just putting my two cents in, I personally would rather visit a site which contains a banner ad than a site which popups windows. Yes, my browser has popup blocker, but just seeing the popup blocker having to work draws me away from the site. But to each their own.

Regards,
Bryant Keller
Posted on 2005-12-25 16:40:54 by Synfire
Add "review" to the search keyword list to get reviews as well.
Posted on 2005-12-25 17:05:47 by tenkey
Synfire,

Actually I spent almost two days on google searching, but everything just seems too inappropriate. Either they put some huge banner, which makes the site look awful. Or have some weird requirements like: you must post regularly on the providers messageboard in order to host there. What's the hell is this anyway? I found about 10 providers with such requirement. Some require particular amount of monthly visits to your site. And the list goes on and on...

I currently host files on Geocities account. But that repulsive advertising Yahoo uses, makes the webpage look disgusting. So I need a decent place to put the webpages.

I personally would rather visit a site which contains a banner ad than a site which popups windows.

I totally agree with you on that. However when the banner takes half of the screen, I would rather prefer a popup window. :)

tenkey,

Ok, I'll try it.
Posted on 2005-12-25 17:24:52 by arafel
I like http://www.100webspace.com . Banner looks like this http://ramguru.mybesthost.com/ (don't confuse my flash with the banner :) ) I own 100Mb already two or more years and no-one is trying to kick me out even though my site contains nothing usefull (I hope it won't last forever)
Posted on 2005-12-25 17:52:40 by ramguru
Ghhmm.. Seems like 100webspace are not very friendly.

"We do not accept signups from your IP range. "

Posted on 2005-12-25 19:01:32 by arafel