I have a CD Burner I would like to test to see if it's OK. Can I unplug my CD Player and use those connections ?

I guess I'll need to set the jumpers and then look for the HP drivers for it too.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Posted on 2006-01-16 12:53:10 by skywalker
You should be able to unplug your CD player and use those connections.  As for jumpers there are usually 3: Master, Slave and "CS" for Cable Select.  You can just put the jumper on CS and it should be ok.  Cable select is like an automatic setting.  If you use Windows (any newer version 2000,XP etc.) it will probably recognize the writer after you have it plugged in and install the drivers for you.  For a different OS you probably have to get the drivers.
Posted on 2006-01-16 18:04:07 by Desp
Windows 2000 will not recognize CD writers as writable. It will treat it as a CD reader. You must install a new driver to get write access.
Posted on 2006-01-17 01:48:13 by tenkey

Windows 2000 will not recognize CD writers as writable. It will treat it as a CD reader. You must install a new driver to get write access.

Nah - you just need to use a burning app, drivers aren't necessary unless you want "packet writing" which has always been pretty flakey.
Posted on 2006-01-17 02:38:02 by f0dder

You should be able to unplug your CD player and use those connections.  As for jumpers there are usually 3: Master, Slave and "CS" for Cable Select.  You can just put the jumper on CS and it should be ok.  Cable select is like an automatic setting.  If you use Windows (any newer version 2000,XP etc.) it will probably recognize the writer after you have it plugged in and install the drivers for you.  For a different OS you probably have to get the drivers.

Thanks.

I put in the CD Writer and windows doesn't even see it, I tested it with the jumpers set for Master and Cable Select.
I think the CD Writer is bad.

I put the original CD Player/DVD Player back in the same spot and it worked fine.

Posted on 2006-01-20 05:28:14 by skywalker
No problem.

The writer could be bad.  Did it show any sign of working at all? 
When you put in a CD, did it spin up? 
If it doesn't light up or spin up at all it is probably bad.
Posted on 2006-01-20 05:42:07 by Desp
Also, after putting a CD inside it, it should not spin at max speed. spinning at max speed means that it can't properly read the data (if there is any) due to numerous read errors, or it can't read it at all. this means that the optical part of the drive is not working (or the CD is damaged, so you should always try with 3-4 different CDs).
Posted on 2006-01-20 21:44:47 by ti_mo_n

No problem.

The writer could be bad.  Did it show any sign of working at all? 
When you put in a CD, did it spin up? 
If it doesn't light up or spin up at all it is probably bad.

Thanks.

I got a used computer yesterday. Lot better than what I had and it has WinXP Professional.

It only has a  working CD player. I am debating adding either a CD Writer or DVD Writer.

I am not sure if my system can support the DVD Writer though.

It's a Dell Optiplex GX1,  P-3, 448 Mhz with 256M Ram. I couldn't install my GeForce 2 card because it didn't
have the right slot for it.

Posted on 2006-01-21 08:08:00 by skywalker