I am using a borrowed computer. I am trying to figure how to tweak the modem settings.

This is what I am seeing:

1. Hard time connecting
2. Connect speeds are often lower than what I have seen when dialing from the same location
3. The OS is WinME

The receive and transmit buffers are both set to high.

Is there a way to tell if the modem is one of those soft modems ?

Thanks.

Posted on 2006-01-20 05:24:36 by skywalker
The quality of modems and their software varies considerably, for both dialup and ADSL in my experience, and consequently the speed of the connection.

You can download various speed-it-up utilities from the web but a crap modem always limps like a 3 legged goat compared to a decent unit.

If you've got a Lada then there aint much you can do to make it go faster.

This was the best dialup tweaker I ever used.
http://members.tripod.com/~EasyMTU/easymtu/index.html

I never bothered with ADSL tweaking, although the Alcatel was miles quicker than the Zoom.
Posted on 2006-01-20 05:54:03 by eek
I worked for the phone company, your problem is most likely line condition and the hardest to deal with.  ( The phone company is not going to lay a new line for you. )  There are filter circuits that will boost reliability and speed, but it's no miracle cure.  In the long run, drop the modem use, and find another media access.

Regards,  P1  8)
Posted on 2006-02-05 22:39:16 by Pone

I worked for the phone company, your problem is most likely line condition and the hardest to deal with.  ( The phone company is not going to lay a new line for you. )  There are filter circuits that will boost reliability and speed, but it's no miracle cure.  In the long run, drop the modem use, and find another media access.

Regards,  P1  8)

I am getting decent connect speeds now. Some of us don't make the six figure incomes. :-)

Take care.

Posted on 2006-02-06 10:01:47 by skywalker
Some of us don't make the six figure incomes. :-)
Neither do I.  It boils down to what is important to you.

Regards,  P1  8)
Posted on 2006-02-06 12:58:14 by P1
I run linux and I can use bsd compresstion even when I can hear pops and crakles on the line
the connection runs at 150bits per sec on a clear line it's anout 300 bps
now here is the kicker about this My ISP dosen't support any O/S that can use bsd compresstion
and most people at the help desk don't know that thay provide bsd compresstion
but I only use it when by broadband connection is down

another thing is that my telco gets right on line noise right now !

just a thought
Posted on 2006-02-14 20:05:28 by rob.rice

150bits per sec on a clear line it's anout 300 bps
I have not use my 300 bps modem for about 20 years now.  :O  I thinks it's time to upgrade.

Regards,  P1  8)
Posted on 2006-02-17 12:48:06 by P1
Is there a way to tell if the modem is one of those soft modems ?

99.9% of the time, if your computer is running Windows then it's using a Soft Modem (also known as a WinModem). If, on the other hand, the computer is running Linux then 100% of the time it's a purely hardware modem.

Spara
Posted on 2006-02-17 13:44:06 by Sparafusile