Am I the only one who noticed that lately?

I loved Google but in the last couple of weeks I can't seem to find anything anymore. Looking for local stores has become an impossible task, looking up phone numbers and addresses just as well. I used to be able just to type the store name and it's state and it presented me with ratings, addresses, phone numbers and more. All relevant. Now, I believe according to Google there are no Hard Wood Floor places anywhere in the US leave alone CT.
Also I seem to be getting hammered with crap when searching for stuff. I mean, before you used to be able to hint at something and more often than not get the page you were actually looking for, now I find myself scrolling up to page 8+ before finding anything or giving up.

I caught myself lately to give msn search a try and am thinking to seriously being in need for a new search engine. Google lost it and I'm pissed. Instead of creating more and more beta crap they should try to keep their flagship going.

Of course this rant only reflects my opinion. (And I still keep my gmail account)
Posted on 2006-01-20 13:26:11 by JimmyClif
You may not believe this, but it depence from the server and ISP as well. I have reached that conclusion a 2-3 years ago when i found that typing of the same thing on a different ISP's gave me a different (somethimes completely different) results.
Posted on 2006-01-20 15:02:23 by shaka_zulu
http://clusty.com never failed me.

I always use it when unable to find something in goole.

shaka_sulu,
Of course. Results sorted accordingly to your IP and other factors like statistics of other search requests from the same subnet...
Posted on 2006-01-20 15:14:22 by arafel
I agree.  Google is becoming filled with more and more useless crap.  I used to be able to type in "asm messageboard" and get this board at the top of the list.  Now it is at the bottom.  On other searches too I have noticed the same problem of being bombarded by junk for 6 or more pages before I can find something remotely relevant.  If they don't get their priorities straight I will look for alternatives since I don't have time to waste sifting through junk all day.
Posted on 2006-01-20 18:05:25 by Desp

I agree.  Google is becoming filled with more and more useless crap.  I used to be able to type in "asm messageboard" and get this board at the top of the list.  Now it is at the bottom.  On other searches too I have noticed the same problem of being bombarded by junk for 6 or more pages before I can find something remotely relevant.  If they don't get their priorities straight I will look for alternatives since I don't have time to waste sifting through junk all day.

Might be because of the domain name change.
Posted on 2006-01-20 20:23:54 by SpooK
For local stores, click the link at the top called "Local".
The old winasm name shows up as the second link for me so spook is probably right.

My wife just opened a new restaurant.  I had to get some supplies and used google quite a bit to map where stores were.  No problems here.
Posted on 2006-01-20 20:41:11 by drhowarddrfine
They change their algorithms every 3 to six months to try and improve things.

Sometimes a perfectly good site disappears from the top 10 to number 700 overnight.

There's a constant war going on between the web ranking/spamming community and google as google try to filter out the crappy advertising sites while leaving the decent places up there.

Sometimes a good site vanishes because of collateral damage.
Posted on 2006-01-21 12:02:53 by eek
search sites are getting to spechalize If I am looking for media yahoo looking to buy something lycos
looking for info google is still the best

depensd on what your are looking for
Posted on 2006-02-15 13:37:54 by rob.rice