Can I use a Win 98 bootdisk when I boot up XP? I want to test some older progs.

Thanks.
Posted on 2006-03-02 09:24:15 by skywalker
You can boot of the boot disk so long as your computer looks for the floppy drive before the hard disk (a setting in the BIOS). This boot disk won't effect your XP install at all unless you make modifications to the hard disk itself (because boot disks are loaded into RAM and ran as a virtual ramdrive). BUT if you want to access files on your XP system, say you have a file on C:\Documents And Settings\user\desktop\source and you wanted to use it while on your floppy, then you must make sure that you are running FAT32 file system. If you are running NTFS, then the old Win98 boot disk won't recognize it. Other than that I see no problems. I run windows 2k and I commonly revert back to MS-DOS for testing of old code. I like using NTFS myself so what I've done is create a seperate partition on my disk which is FAT32 and anything I want to access from my boot disk I move over to that partition (which is conveniently where I store all my source codes) ;)

Regards,
Bryant Keller
Posted on 2006-03-02 12:18:45 by Synfire

You can boot of the boot disk so long as your computer looks for the floppy drive before the hard disk (a setting in the BIOS). This boot disk won't effect your XP install at all unless you make modifications to the hard disk itself (because boot disks are loaded into RAM and ran as a virtual ramdrive). BUT if you want to access files on your XP system, say you have a file on C:\Documents And Settings\user\desktop\source and you wanted to use it while on your floppy, then you must make sure that you are running FAT32 file system. If you are running NTFS, then the old Win98 boot disk won't recognize it. Other than that I see no problems. I run windows 2k and I commonly revert back to MS-DOS for testing of old code. I like using NTFS myself so what I've done is create a seperate partition on my disk which is FAT32 and anything I want to access from my boot disk I move over to that partition (which is conveniently where I store all my source codes) ;)

Regards,
Bryant Keller

Mine is NTFS, can it be converted to FAT 32?

Posted on 2006-03-02 15:09:56 by skywalker
FAT32 consumes a lot of space on large disks. create a small FAT32 partition on it.
Posted on 2006-03-02 16:21:54 by ti_mo_n

I don't think you can convert an NTFS partition to FAT32. You can, however, resize the NTFS partition and create a small FAT32 partition in the extra space. This can be done using PartitionMAGIC, but it's commercial, if you are looking for a cheaper way you can download a copy of Knoppix LiveCD, a CD distribution of Linux, burn the ISO to a CD then boot up with Knoppix. Once Knoppix has loaded you can use a tool called QTPart which uses the ntfsresizer linux utility to "non-destructively" modify the partition size. Now I won't stand by the fact of wether it's truely non-destructive or not, but that is at least the claim the developers of QTPart make.
Posted on 2006-03-02 17:10:55 by Synfire

If you want a read-only access to your data you may try NTFSDOS from SysInternals (well, they also have a read-write version, but it is not free as opposed to the read-only version)
Posted on 2006-03-02 17:54:08 by Morris