To the Ineffable All,
    I have an interesting problem for all interested diskheads to ponder.  I am currently running XP Home Edition with SP2.  My box has 2 physical disk drives of 200GB each.  The first disk is partitioned into C,D,E, and the second disk into a single partition F. The partitions C,D,E are sized 50GB, 100GB, and 50GB. My problem is that My Computer and File Explorer cannot "see" the E partition.  Neither can Search find any files on E.  however, the DIR function of  Cmd.exe has no problem reading the partition.  Neither do third party file managers like ZTREE, or text editors like UltraEdit.  Also assembler programs written by me using the API functions work fine when they reference E.  In other words, just about every program can access the E partition; everything but MS application programs that is.  Now when I try to write a text file from MS Word onto the E partition, I get the message "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer.  Please contact your system administrator."  The Disk Manager shows the E partition just fine, and I cannot find anything wrong therein.  I don't know if it has always been that way, or just started to act up recently. I only noticed it a while ago.  I deleted the partition E using Disk Manager, then recreated and formated it again.  Same old problem.  When I changed the letter E to some other unused letter, it works fine.  After changing it back to E, same problem.  It appears the MS applications on my system just do not like the name E.  So how do I the tell the XP O/S to give MS applications permission to write on the E partition, even though every other non-MS program can do so already?  Any helpful suggestions will be appreciated. Ratch
Posted on 2006-03-07 10:04:58 by Ratch
Check it with TweakUI, the drive itself maybe hidden in Explorer, through a registry setting.

Check here for editing the Registry setting yourself:
http://winguides.com/registry/display.php/148/

Regards,  P1  8)
Posted on 2006-03-07 16:31:49 by P1
Thanks a load of a lot, P1. That did the trick. I just used RegEdit to change the indicated key and rebooted. And voila the missing partition appeared. A lot of people worked on this prob, including the dealer where I purchased the box. They all were were clueless as to why it did what it did. Some suggested using Fdisk /MBR to clear the Master Boot Record (MBR), and letting XP 'discover' the partitions again. I was scared to do that so I didn't. It sure seems stupid for MS to put that capability into their OS when it is transparent to any non-MS program. I guess Uncle Bill, in his ivory tower, thinks that no other progs others the those written by his company exist. Thanks once again. Ratch
Posted on 2006-03-07 19:23:35 by Ratch
    Hmm. Maybe I spoke too soon.  The problem is half solved.  My Computer and Explorer can now 'see' the partiton.  But no MS app can access it yet.  It still says that there are restrictions on this computer.  The search goes on... Ratch
Posted on 2006-03-07 21:21:50 by Ratch
leftclick the Start button, rightclick on My Computer, and select Manage.
A window will open entitled 'Computer Management'.

Select Disk Management and you 'should' be able to see all of your hdds and all of the partitions on them.

Rightclick the troublesome partition, and if you can, select 'Mark the partition as active'. You also have the opportunity to change any / all of the logical drive letters in here. I suggest you do change the driveletter of the offending partition, as this is what fixed this problem for me (the partition magically appeared again, and then I changed the letter back to what it had been, and the problem was gone).

The action of remapping a partition's logical drive letter must force some kind of dismount/remount or similar, whatever, it worked for me.

Posted on 2006-03-07 23:41:06 by Homer
EvilHomer2k,
    Nice try, but it did not work for me.  I changed the partition letter to a unused letter, then rebooted.  Then I changed it back and rebooted again.  As before, File Explorer now acknowledges the presence of the partition, but it cannot tell me what files are present therein.  It still pops out the "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer.  Please contact your system administrator" message.  Thanks for the suggestion anyway.  Ratch
Posted on 2006-03-08 09:25:13 by Ratch
First task is done.  Well, now that we can see it.

Second thing to check is the sharing and security for the drive.
1.  Right Click drive and Click Properties.
2.  Click Security Tab.
3.  Check for your logon name and Click it.
4.  In the box below, you should have "Full Control" with everything checked.
    A.  If not, check it and you should have control now.

I have a hunch this may not do nothing for you, because you were hit with a virus/joke program.

AV check the drive.  If you get a virus name check it out on line and found out how it hit your registry.Šnbsp; And try to undo the damage.  If you need more help, ASK FIRST before anything else happen for you to lose data.  After you get rid of your pest.  Please note dates of files found, it will help you to pre-date your Restore Point to back before the infection.  Then do a Restore Point and maybe you will be ok.

Regards,  P1  8)

PS:?  I found some other stuff, we can do.?  Let me know how the above works.

Posted on 2006-03-08 13:05:50 by P1
P1,
    Within the Properties window are tabs General, Tools, Hardware, Norton, Sharing, and Quota.  No Security Tab.  I have been running the Norton Security Suite since the computer was purchased.  Hard to believe any viruses are present.  Ratch
Posted on 2006-03-08 14:04:13 by Ratch
Home Edition - Yuck!!!  I'm sure your the Computer Admin, please check for sure.  Just in case someone else down graded you.

Is there anything out on E: ???  Would it hurt to redo the partition?
Can you give some History about the drive?  Is it new?  Or has been in use for a while?

I Googled your Error Statement above and got some good leads into the registry, that may need fixing.  i.e. GPO - Group Policy Objects stuff.  You may want to do the same and get a jump on correcting some corrupted / messed up registry entries, that sound like your problem.

Regards,  P1  8)
Posted on 2006-03-08 16:12:51 by P1
P1,

Home Edition - Yuck!!!?  I'm sure your the Computer Admin, please check for sure.?  Just in case someone else down graded you.

?  ?  ? Yes, I did say I had the Home Edition in my first message.?  Yes, I am the one and only administrator.?  I have never been denied anything available to an administrator in Home Edition.?  I have had a firewall and current Norton virus checking since I purchased this box new last October.?  I concentrate on writing applications instead of administrating.?  The computer is located inside a private residence with no one except my wife and I having access.?  Why pay extra for something I don't need?? 

Is there anything out on E: ????  Would it hurt to redo the partition?
Can you give some History about the drive??  Is it new??  Or has been in use for a while?

?  ?  ? Nothing important on E.?  Just now I just did a partition E delete followed by a partition E reassignment and formating.?  Did not solve the prob. The dealer partitioned the disk into C,D, and E as per my request.?  I first noticed the prob about a month ago, but I don't remember specifically if it was that way when I brought the box home.?  I don't think it was, or I probably would have noticed it.?  I haven't been using the E partition yet for applications, although GoBack uses it to for its incremental change updates.?  Right now after reformating, GoBack is not active and the problem is still there.

I Googled your Error Statement above and got some good leads into the registry, that may need fixing.?  i.e. GPO - Group Policy Objects stuff.?  You may want to do the same and get a jump on correcting some corrupted / messed up registry entries, that sound like your problem.

?  ?  ? I have Googled that error statement before, but any reference to GPO is not applicable to my Home Edition.?  GPO simply does not exist on Home Edition.?  Ratch
Posted on 2006-03-08 19:47:26 by Ratch
I have Googled that error statement before, but any reference to GPO is not applicable to my Home Edition. GPO simply does not exist on Home Edition. Ratch
You would be wrong on that.  Home does not permit Remote Domain Administration of policy settings.  So it does not mean, it does not use them. 

BTW, It was a policy registry setting that brought your drive to visible again.

I'll got to go.  Will check back later.

Regards,  P1  8)
Posted on 2006-03-09 17:06:45 by P1
P1,

You would be wrong on that.?  Home does not permit Remote Domain Administration of policy settings.?  So it does not mean, it does not use them.

?  ?  ?  I don't know what RDA is, but I was talking about GPO.

?  ?  ?  I have a book called Windows XP Inside Out, Second Edition by Ed Bott, Carl Siechert, and Craig Stinson.?  Appendix F of that tome describes how to use the Group Policy feature.?  The very first page displays this statement.?  "In a nutshell: Group Policy is not available in Windows XP Home Edition.?  Home Edition users can use none of the procedures described in this chapter, or can they use the various Group Policy settings that are described elsewhere in the book."

?  ?  ?  ? Do you know something those guys don't??  Ratch
Posted on 2006-03-09 18:36:43 by Ratch
GPO covers almost the whole OS ( IE is part of the OS ) and a lot of the M$ software.

I work everyday in the registry.  I don't work on Home that often, but I have been amazed that they left out just enough to force us corporate types to use Pro instead of Home.  For the most part, they left off the "remote" part and security was reduce to Admin ( Parents ) or User ( The Kids login ) with very little choice to "administer" security of the machine, except for making registry changes by hand.  But if your a Computer Administrator, you can edit the whole registry.

My Kids are still trying to figure out the family computer.  My girls don't even try to get around the security.  The Son is a different story.  I ended up giving him a computer of his own.  Told him, You screw it up, you live with it.

I can analyze an export of HKLM Windows & Windows NT, if you are comfortable with that.  Unless you have saved your logon password with TweakUI.  Then you may want to edit the export.

My e-mail is ProgramOne(at)~g~m~a~i~l(dot)~c~o~m, remove all the tildes and translate the punctuation.  Sorry, I hate SPAM bots.

Regards,  P1  8)
Posted on 2006-03-10 09:03:15 by P1
P1,

I can analyze an export of HKLM Windows & Windows NT, if you are comfortable with that.

I have no probs with that.  But what does HKLM mean?  And how do I get a export (dump?) of it?  I have no logon passwords and I never tried to do anything with security.  I assume the dealer who installed XP just selected the defaults.  Ratch
Posted on 2006-03-10 09:48:52 by Ratch
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

Open your regedit and you will see it.  ;)
Posted on 2006-03-10 11:04:25 by roticv
Full Path in RegEdit is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft here you will find Windows & Windows NT.

Click once on the key and under Registry in Menu Bar is 'Export Registry File...' .

Do this for each key.  This will give me the system related keys to examine.  It's an ascii file, open it with wordpad to chaeck it out yourself.  But if you double-click it, it will try to load the file/values back into the registry again.

Regards,  P1  8)
Posted on 2006-03-10 11:36:52 by P1
P1,
    I will be busy for a while, but I will get that over to you ASAP.  Ratch
Posted on 2006-03-10 11:44:36 by Ratch
Ratch,

Check this please:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions\NoBrowserOptions and set it to "0".

Research some of this stuff.

This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer.  Please contact your system administrator.
When this pops up, what is it that you have just done or try to do???

Regards,  P1  8)
Posted on 2006-03-20 16:55:44 by P1
P1,
    The 'NoBrowserOptions' entry within the registry directory you suggested is absent on my box.  I get a contact the administrator message when I try to list the files and directories on my E partition using MS File Explorer, or attempting to save a file using MS Word onto partition E.  As I said before, all third party programs have no problem reading or writing onto E.  Ratch
Posted on 2006-03-20 18:55:11 by Ratch