I have been seriously working on how to use ASM to a good level but it seems i don't know anything yet. Can somebody help me out? I tried to use TASM and the linker but i find it difficult now.

Daniel
Posted on 2006-03-25 11:54:55 by dansol77
Don't use all caps :mad:

As for what can you do, easiest place to start is with hutchs Masm32 package.
Posted on 2006-03-25 12:10:10 by Eóin
As one thin: you should NOT start with TASM.
Although I use it, TASM has some quirks that can make a lot of problems to a beginner...
Posted on 2006-03-25 13:44:31 by BogdanOntanu
What about MASM,since i have it on my windows but i find it difficult to use Linker for my sample .asm. what can i do create .OBJ file and .EXE files?
Posted on 2006-03-25 16:50:48 by dansol77
If you are having problems, play with an IDE like Radasm. There is a button you can click so that your asm files get assembled.
Posted on 2006-03-25 20:32:32 by roticv
All that is required, as with anything, is finding a way to relate the material so you can understand it. Particularly with assembly language, you have to throw away your high-level presumptions and get closer to the hardware. Once you understand that everything is a matter of data manipulation, and that it is up to you to give that data meaning, you will be that much closer to knowing assembly language.

That being said, I came to know assembly language by taking my high-level knowledge (abstraction) to work downwards and started to learn how computers work internally (physical correlation) to work upwards until they met and I had an overall understanding of what it means to program in general.

The one thing that will keep your mind free, is to remember that no matter what terminology people use, no matter what abstract concepts people apply, programming is simply the application and manipulation of data in order to achieve a desired (and reproduceably predictable) result.
Posted on 2006-03-25 21:23:23 by SpooK
It's hard to say how you should "learn assembly" the right way, since there's a lot of approaches and people learn differently.

For me, it was beneficial to do HLL first (pascal :)), then look at asm. Debugging my own apps in asm mode was very helpful too. "Learning assembly" by itself isn't too useful, but once you combine algoritms and assembly, you've got a winning hand.

The thing is that just "learning assembly" is more or less a no-brainer; the basic instruction set(s) are very simple. Putting this to use for app writing isn't too bad either. But if you want to write efficient programs, that's when algorithms, math, higher-level conceps et cetera become invaluable.
Posted on 2006-03-25 22:22:23 by f0dder
I wrote a "masm for morons" tutorial series, which can be found at http://stig.servehttp.com/homer

It's meant for absolute beginners, as a bridge to Iczelion's tutorials (which are wonderful, but imho not written with absolute beginners in mind).
Posted on 2006-03-27 02:04:29 by Homer
Hi Daniel,

You should defiantly learn Masm and use RadAsm IDE.

Regards,
Immortal_One
Posted on 2006-03-30 09:26:15 by Immortal_One