(or use it)

thats it...
i discovered it a long time ago already, and re-discovered it some days ago...
the wikipedia page lists other things like that...

any comments...

Posted on 2006-03-28 18:37:42 by HeLLoWorld
hm, freenet? I vaguely remember something java-based that didn't work very well, and seemed more like a tool suitable for malicious deeds than useful purposes, since it probably wouldn't be too hard for ie. the chinese govt. to block >_<
Posted on 2006-03-29 03:28:31 by f0dder
thats it!

the main goal is to provide complete anonymity for its users. there are question regarding wether it is possible to prove you did this or that on the network (via heavy flow statistics) but even with the internet actual IP adress system, you're hopefully) anonymous.

it also dispatches the data (sites, boards, files) on evry users computer (you give your share of disk/bandwith) and _is_ truely decentralized.
amusingly, you have no way of removing something you uploaded, nor to ensure it wont disapper -if no one requests it in a long time.

it is alo painfully slow, but ppl develop it for the ideal of true freedom of speech, and its supposed to become faster in the future.

entry of http://freenet.sourceforge.net/ :

"I worry about my child and the Internet all the time, even though she's too young to have logged on yet. Here's what I worry about. I worry that 10 or 15 years from now, she will come to me and say 'Daddy, where were you when they took freedom of the press away from the Internet?'"
    --Mike Godwin, Electronic Frontier Foundation

heres a member signature:

"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." - Noam Chomsky

and another (ohmygod! :) )

"Man will never be free, until the last King is strangled with the entrails of the last Priest"  - Denis Diderot

Posted on 2006-03-29 14:09:21 by HeLLoWorld
Hehe.

A somewhat less ambitious, but perhaps more practical, project would be http://tor.eff.org/ .
Posted on 2006-03-29 14:13:47 by f0dder
somehow related, just thought i d share the link, something called

"The MS Darknet paper",

a somehow intersting microsoft paper about file sharing  (havent read everything yet but looks interesting)

http://boingboing.net/2002/11/20/msfts_darknet_paper_.html

and a MS Research DRM talk:

Microsoft Research DRM talk

Posted on 2006-03-29 16:24:04 by HeLLoWorld
i just re-read your 1st post. the chinese govmt has indeed blocked freenet access (not broken anonimity i think, but caught the ppl they knew used this subnet) by establishing "cancer nodes" in the network. but this is being turn-around-ed (?) or maybe it is already.

the internet is a eversurprising beast... if this subnetwork should only serve that cause it would already be enough i guess... i m amazed (if its the case) that it succeeds to allow confidentiality even if the 'powers that be' fight it.

i mean, they re screwed. they just cant shut the inet down, and they cant catch ppl, even if everybody has an IP addr. that bloody rox!

reminds me of the way (i read) Ma Bell was screwed when blue boxes appeared. the vast technological infrastructure carried in itself the posssibility of anonyme use.

though i m far from having witnessed this era :D
(any of you sirs?)

oh well :)

g'night
Posted on 2006-03-29 16:38:21 by HeLLoWorld
Well, the concept looks nice.. not new, but nice.. The implementation stinks though. Some things just shouldn't be made in Java.

Oh and this:

The project's current Paypal balance is $266.95. The project requires approximately $2,300 per month to pay for its full time developer, ...

The whole paragraph is absurd. Main developer in a free and opensource project requires two grands per month for his work. I always thought that such projects done merely for fun and not profit.
Posted on 2006-03-29 17:38:38 by arafel
The project's current Paypal balance is $0.05. The project requires approximately $2,300 per month to pay for its full time developer, Matthew Toseland. If you would like to help support the Freenet Project, you can make a convenient donation through our donations page.

Freenet is free software which lets you publish and obtain information on the Internet without fear of censorship

Smells more like donation ware than free software to me. I agree, the whole premise of calling something free then asking for money is absurd. Either it's free and unencumbered or it's donation ware or even worse GPL, the Great Programming Lie, this one seems to be both, two strikes and your out in my game.
Posted on 2006-03-29 21:14:55 by donkey
I always thought that such projects done merely for fun and not profit.

Not at all, even some kernel developers are payed by big companies ;). Is free of share, distribute and modify if you wish, but that not mean that the programmer can't get money from do a GPL software other than support, for implement it can get money ;).

Even you can pay other programmer diferent than the original to have best skills and contract him, do your modification or implementation that you wish, and distribute the project in you company with the GPL  and sale it.
Posted on 2006-03-30 11:14:50 by rea