Splash window

A splash window is usually used when an application is started and showed some information and or logo. The real use of the splash window is to distract the userís attention while the application is doing its initialization work. A classical example of a splash window can be seen when you open a pdf file.

If you design a splash window you have pay attention to some rules. To capture the attention of the user you can apply some tricks. One of them is, if you know the preferences of your potential users, to select a motif that certainly will be looked at. Another trick is to give the splash window a different look and feel from the OS or some special effect.
How long should the splash be shown? It is recommended that it doesnít remain longer than 4 seconds. To accomplish a good performance, the initialization of the main application should be started as soon as possible to gain some time. This can be done using a thread to display the splash window while the main application is doing its job.

The example I attached to this post shows an implementation using an ObjAsm32 class (Splash). Since the majority of the members here are men, I selected a motif that will catch their attention. As an example, if we take the Adobe Reader, the motif they selected is designed to identify the customers with the product. This is important for a commercial product and has to be considered during the design phase.

Regards,

Biterider
Attachments:
Posted on 2006-04-03 08:15:18 by Biterider
Nice mate, one thing that always catches my attention on splash screens is when there is a small area which shows what's going on. This is done in Macromedia Fireworks and honestly every time I load it up I end up watching each part initialize (even though it spins through rather quickly).

Regards,
Bryant Keller
Posted on 2006-04-03 13:03:38 by Synfire
Thanks for the nice example Biterider.
Rags
Posted on 2006-04-04 08:28:46 by rags
Biterider,
That is a VERY interesting and well done Splash screen except that my wife took a peek over my shoulder and freaked.  When it comes to thinking quick, I am the bomb!!  I slammed my fist on the keyboard and said, 'Not another virus!  Ingrid I gotta buy a better Virus protection program.'  She wandered off grumbling for me to just fix it.

I am a survivor!
Paul
Posted on 2006-04-06 13:44:48 by PBrennick
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol. lol yea, when I first saw it I get  somewhat amazed :P.
Posted on 2006-04-07 00:41:11 by rea