Hi friends,

Wouldn't it be nice to have a subforum for the new assembler Poasm?

What are your opinions?
Posted on 2006-04-03 12:56:54 by Vortex
Believe it or not, I've still not tried Poasm. But from what I've seen it's becomming rather popular and I agree that it would be a good idea to setup a subforum. That would make the moderators jobs easier later on down the road if Poasm ends up with such a large following that we are forced to make it a seperate section. At least doing it now would safe guard us from certain problems during the "Algorithms" split.
Posted on 2006-04-03 13:12:00 by Synfire
Hi Synfire,

Poasm is able to assemble the majority of Masm source code without problem. The assembler has the powerfull statement INCBIN to embed binary files to the object file. The conversion from Masm to Poasm is easy.

Thanks for your support.
Posted on 2006-04-03 13:25:01 by Vortex
Poasm seems like a very nice assembler indeed, but is there really a need for a dedicated subforum? Fragmenting the board/forum too much isn't necessarily beneficial -- especially since poasm is so similar to masm. Even for FASM, which is a quite different beast than MASM, there's overlap between the forums...
Posted on 2006-04-03 13:28:04 by f0dder
Poasm is able to assemble the majority of Masm source code without problem.

Well, if the syntax is that close to Masm, then I don't see it very important to make a new subforum for it.

Fragmenting the board/forum too much isn't necessarily beneficial

I'm fully aware of that, my first impression was that PoASM would be something different, but after reading Vortex's post I have to agree. If the design is that similar to MASM, then we should just leave the info in the MASM board (or possibly change it to a MASM/POASM board)
Posted on 2006-04-03 13:37:33 by Synfire
(or possibly change it to a MASM/POASM board)

This appears to be a good solution.
Posted on 2006-04-03 13:39:29 by Vortex
This is an assembler that is still under development and is still in beta. It is a very good assembler and imo is already superior to masm in a lot of ways. Of course, everyone would make there own decisions on that one.

I think that since HLA, FASM and NASM have there own subforum it is only fair to do the same for POASM. One of the reasons that I feel so strongly about this is because of the way licensing is handled. No more MS crap about distributing or re-distributing. I have been working on a package that will be available for developers to use; newbie or otherwise. This is going to be my way of 'shrugging off the yoke.' ;) I bet that Vortex would be willing to help me with that one.

Paul
Posted on 2006-04-04 21:41:52 by PBrennick
My biggest question is (as with the re-assignment of the MASM forum to WinMain), where is the best place to put this subforum? Like MASM, it doesn't fit into the "OS Independent" category. I put MASM into WinMain to avoid confusion like that which would be caused by making another subforum dedicated just to "Windows Assemblers".

I think I *may* have a solution at hand, but it will take me a while to implement it. In the mean time, I believe that since our concerns are with syntax compatibility, and not with licensing legalities (directly), we could start off by renaming the MASM forum as stated above... and work from there :)
Posted on 2006-04-05 00:22:05 by SpooK
I think it does fit into OS Independent, as it supports I80x86 (Win16|32|64) and ARMx. But that's just my interpretation.
Posted on 2006-04-05 00:35:59 by Synfire
Well, I personally don't know of POSASM other than it is one of Pelle's creations. All my information about it is just my impression based on this thread.

I looked it up Synfire and it seems you are correct, not only is it OS Independent, it covers multiple architectures. In light of that, it probably does deserve to have its own subforum :)

Subforum created. Sorry for the mix-up. Enjoy.
Posted on 2006-04-05 00:41:47 by SpooK
Wow, I thought it only did x86/win32-coff. Nice :)
Posted on 2006-04-05 04:01:17 by f0dder
Yea, I decided to download it and give it a shot after this thread was created, when developing Win32 apps it's really nothing different (cept a few extra directives and it optimizes a little better) than Masm. But then I noticed it has support for ARM processors and was immediately intrigued. I've wanted to get into ARM for a while but I could never really find a decent assembler for it. Hopefully this will change things :)
Posted on 2006-04-05 12:48:28 by Synfire
I have asked Vortex to prioritize (in his earliest postings in the subforum) some of the things that show the power of POASM over MASM.  In particular, something using INCBIN and about the auto-declaration of externals, things that MASM cannot do.  He will showcase other things as he sees fit.

Paul
Posted on 2006-04-05 17:41:23 by PBrennick