Hi people Im starting in this things.

One of the important tools in Windows is AVR studio and you can get it for free from ATMEL, but what happend with Linux? AVR studio dosen't run under WINE HQ.
My choice is to use Linux, but at school all the things are done in Windows :S :P.

I will like that you post your configurations for install and use :) AVR applications in Linux (isnt necesary that the app are writed for Linux, only be able to run in some way ;)). I know somethings I can use, but havent tested for the moment at all :S (havent buyed the ATMega 8535 and builded the programmer, at weekend or 1 day before I will doit).

PonyProg

The only thing that I know I can use in Linux is PonyProg, it is a writer of memory (for different chips (dont know the exact name).

Loged in console as root (your computer :P), and type:

For see the available groups (there should be uucp alredy there).
cat /etc/group

Then for see the users of your profile/user
groups rea

And now that you know your groups, then write them with the extra uucp group to your profile, this case rea
usermod -G users,dialout,video,uucp rea

Log out, and you are done, the user also is now in uucp.

By the way, if you need to know the kernel, gcc version or other things
cat /proc/version

vmlab
Was the first entry in a search, what atract me is that it say that you can use it under WINE :P www.amctools.com it look like a interesting thing ;).

The only problem that I see is that I dont know if is posible to add a path to the bin directory, because the calling of the application is via I guess something like "asm65 file.asm", and not being in the command line, then it dosen't help... tought I guess that is the problem that is sayed in the "know problems and solutions" section in the page.
There is something called symbolic links in a page of winecfg, but I dont know if this is the "answer".

Will be nice if you know how :) to make it run correctly :).

Apart.
Also I know that there is a version of nasm that have some support for ARM, and IIRC fasm also have some support :S ??

Also a simulator would be nice :), but I can cope if I make at less PonyProg+an assembler to make it run and hope not make  dumy mistakes when programming :P.
Posted on 2006-04-05 14:09:33 by rea
You can also use GCC and UISP to programm AVRs.

Get and binutils, GCC, AVR C Runtime library and UISP Programmer.
Compile both GCC and binutls with "--target=avr" and "--prefix=/usr/local/atmel" switches. (better read the man for the correct switches)
Compile and install UISP. You are done.
I am not sure if AVR clib is needed if you want to use only assembler. But UISP might require it to compile.

By the way, www.avrfreaks.net is a very good resource for AVR related info.
Posted on 2006-05-02 05:10:38 by arafel

You can also use GCC and UISP to programm AVRs.

Get and binutils, GCC, AVR C Runtime library and UISP Programmer.
Compile both GCC and binutls with "--target=avr" and "--prefix=/usr/local/atmel" switches. (better read the man for the correct switches)
Compile and install UISP. You are done.
I am not sure if AVR clib is needed if you want to use only assembler. But UISP might require it to compile.

By the way, www.avrfreaks.net is a very good resource for AVR related info.

hmmm.., is there no need to construct a cross-compiler?

yeah, sorry that I haven't explore the link above  ;)
Posted on 2006-05-03 00:24:30 by Pinczakko

hmmm.., is there no need to construct a cross-compiler?

Yes, of course. That's what the "--target=avr" switch is all about. (I meant that it should be specified when executing configure and not when compiling an avr code.)
Posted on 2006-05-03 05:07:02 by arafel