Hi.

I was browsing Google earlier and I ran into some filesystem drivers for Windows. I see they have the capability to read and write to the filesystem. Now, I'm curious, is there any possible way to develop an application in Windows that will run on that certain filesystem? I was just wondering because I think it would be really neat if you could write Windows applications that run on a different filesystem. ;)

Thank you,

- Steve
Posted on 2006-04-18 20:56:46 by ~Steve~
I am not sure about your question. The Windows API provides a layer of abstraction so you don't have to worry about what FS is beneath you. Hence why "CreateFile" and the like work without any changes between FAT32 and NTFS. Windows hides the disk/filesystem by providing a directory/file type structure.

You can develop drivers for different types of filesystems, but they have to provide the same abstractions in order for software to work *seamlessly*.
Posted on 2006-04-18 21:08:22 by SpooK
Like Ext2 Installable File System For Windows  :lol:

It installs a pure kernel mode file system driver Ext2fs.sys, which actually extends the Windows NT/2000/XP operating system to include the Ext2 file system. Since it is executed on the same software layer at the Windows NT operating system core like all of the native file system drivers of Windows (for instance NTFS, FASTFAT, or CDFS for Joliet/ISO CD-ROMs), all applications can access directly to Ext2 volumes. Ext2 volumes get drive letters (for instance G:). Files, and directories of an Ext2 volume appear in file dialogs of all applications. There is no need to copy files from or to Ext2 volumes in order to work with them.

http://www.fs-driver.org/
Posted on 2006-04-18 23:14:13 by Ar-ras
ReiserFS support on windows would be more interesting - especially if it was bootable :) (is the ext2 FS bootable with this driver?)
Posted on 2006-04-19 06:24:08 by f0dder
What features are *not* supported?
This software does not achieve booting a Windows operating system from an Ext2 volume.

ReiserFs

http://rfsd.sourceforge.net/

I think bootable is not that problem, The problem is the installation with the new fs driver
Posted on 2006-04-19 07:51:12 by Ar-ras

What features are *not* supported?
This software does not achieve booting a Windows operating system from an Ext2 volume.

ReiserFs

http://rfsd.sourceforge.net/

I think bootable is not that problem, The problem is the installation with the new fs driver

Good question - where is the problem? I guess one might try integrating the ext2 driver with www.nliteos.com , could be interesting.

EDIT: but then again, doh. NTLDR pretty much specifically only supports vfat/ntfs I think.
Posted on 2006-04-19 08:00:14 by f0dder
I say just C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ntfs.sys
I thin when thesetup starts, it starts a small windows...
It uses ntfs.sys to create the ntfs fs and then to read/write to it

But the problem is to start windows xp on ext2...
We should write a bootalgorythm which has to be conform with the ntloader....
Maybe win2k sourcecodes would help lol
Posted on 2006-04-19 08:50:52 by Ar-ras