Well, after quite a while using Connectix Virtual PC 5.1, I finally broke down last week and bought Microsoft Virtual PC 2004. MS bought the program from Connectix a few years ago and since then I have not been able to upgrade. I have to say that MS has pretty much ruined everything that was good about CVPC. It's slower, much slower and crashed a few times when I tried to set up a new PC. I was attempting to set up Windows 98SE and it wouldn't recognize the virtual hard disk it just finished creating, eventually I had to re-install connectix virtual PC, create a hard drive, uninstall connectix VPC and then import it into the Microsoft version. All of the new bells and whistles have resulted in about 2.5 hours to install Windows 98SE on my dev PC (PIII 550Mhz), the same config with the connectix version took about 45 minutes.

All in all a very disappointing experience from what was once a great software package but now that I paid for it I am damned if I won't use it.
Posted on 2006-05-29 22:25:59 by donkey
I'd laugh, but it's not funny when you are paying for it :|
Posted on 2006-05-30 03:21:49 by Homer
I hope Virtual PC is much cheaper than VMWare, because it's always been slower :/

(I was lucky enough to get a copy of VMWare through www.donationcoder.com - yay :)).
Posted on 2006-05-30 07:10:05 by f0dder

I hope Virtual PC is much cheaper than VMWare, because it's always been slower :/

(I was lucky enough to get a copy of VMWare through www.donationcoder.com - yay :)).

Not sure what VMWare costs, VPC cost me US $100.00, not bad for a peice of software this useful.
Posted on 2006-05-30 07:17:38 by donkey
I just checked the vmware homepage, it clocks in at $189 for download, $199 for physical package... I don't have enough experience with VirtualPC to tell if it's worth the extra cash, but vmware sure did seem snappier...
Posted on 2006-05-30 08:09:49 by f0dder
can you do snapshots with VPC? someone said only VMware supports that
Posted on 2006-05-30 12:19:30 by comrade
Hi comrade,

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "snapshots", I can save the exact state of a PC and shutdown/restart there when I like but it's a one shot deal like hibernate.
Posted on 2006-05-30 22:25:37 by donkey
Am I hallucinating?  I downloaded and installed Virtual Server 2005 R2.  Yet, you paid for Virtual PC 2004 last week?  I thought virtual server is the next version of VPC.
See http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/virtualserver/software/default.mspx
MS has been giving it away since early April.
Posted on 2006-05-30 22:44:35 by Starless
As far as I understand it the version with Virtual Server is a stripped version. MS still sells virtual pc and it is still only available for free on a 45 day trial only...

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/default.mspx
Posted on 2006-05-30 23:24:42 by donkey
donkey, then i guess VPC doesn't do them.
In VMWare, you can create snapshots, and it displays them as a tree. Each leaf is a deviation of its parent. I am not exactly sure if it actually only saves difference in state from its parent, as opposed to the whole state
Posted on 2006-05-31 00:19:26 by comrade

I just checked the vmware homepage, it clocks in at $189 for download, $199 for physical package... I don't have enough experience with VirtualPC to tell if it's worth the extra cash, but vmware sure did seem snappier...

VMWare Server is free and works perfectly on my Slackware 10.2 :D
Posted on 2006-05-31 02:10:36 by QUASAR

I am not exactly sure if it actually only saves difference in state from its parent, as opposed to the whole state

Disk space usage indicates some differential approach.

VMWare Server is free and works perfectly on my Slackware 10.2

I haven't really looked into that version yet, what are the differences between the free 'server' and workstation?
Posted on 2006-05-31 06:23:12 by f0dder
OT.
MS gives away VPC 2004 SP1 now.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/downloads/sp1.mspx
I don't know how crippled it is, but makes me wonder if I ever want to buy MS stuff again (without being forced by bundling practice like windows xp "home" edition).
Posted on 2006-07-15 18:37:26 by Starless