Has it ever happened to you that the taskbar tooltips (e.g. for the date from the clock) start appearing behind the taskbar? This fixes it. What it does is to get the taskbar window handle using FindWindow with the classname "Shell_TrayWnd" then uses SetWindowPos with HWND_TOPMOST to put the taskbar back on top. I've tested it and it does work. Included are x64 and 32-bit and C++ versions; only the former has actually been tested.

Apparently this Windows problem is fixed in Vista...

EDIT: new attachment
Attachments:
Posted on 2006-06-01 10:07:47 by stormix
I found that it didn't always work. It's better to set HWND_NOTOPMOST then HWND_TOPMOST - that always seems to fix it. Updated the attachment accordingly.
Posted on 2006-06-19 09:41:52 by stormix
You can right-click the taskbar, enter the properties menu. Then DEselect "View topmost" (or something like this), click OK, and then select "viiew topmost".

BTW it's quite annoying. Games sometimes do this when they try to hide the taskbar. The "clever game programmers"tm should learn more about programming, imho... :/
Posted on 2006-06-19 14:59:59 by ti_mo_n
I prefer floating tooltips that appear at the top of the application's window where the toolbar is.  you know, toolbar, tooltips; they sort of go together.

Paul
Posted on 2006-06-19 15:59:17 by PBrennick
Here's one i wouldn't mind a solution on while you're at it! ;)

When programers dont execute the SetForeGroundWindow call before TrackPopupMenu the menu never gains 'focus' requiring the user to select a menu item or a null area of the menu before being able to dismiss it!

I find this infuriating purely because its so easy to fix in the program. I have posted repeated messages to a shareware author about this very problem and descibing the fix for it but with zero responce! :mad: Some people eh?........

It seems to me that windows should call this function on the window the messge will be posted to. Can we blame billy-boy for this one Pleeeeeeease... :D
Posted on 2006-06-20 11:21:03 by asmrixstar