Hi All

I've written a simple chat application and i thought i'd share it with you.
I am working on implementing TCP protocol in Solar OS and for testing i needed a simple application that works only on TCP, and not using some other higher protocol, like http, ftp etc.
The application is written in MASM32 using RadASM, the project file is included. I've included also some "bat" files for non-RadASM people.
The application is working by connecting a "client" to a "host", the client needs to know the IP of the host. Also the two must agree on the same port. The application is pretty straightforward, i dont think many explanations are needed. There are a lot of messages outputed with OutputDebugString if you are interested to look at some events. There is a DEBUG_BUILD equ in main file that disables all those log messages.

The network engine works with asynchronous sockets, using notifications to window.

If you are interested in using it in any way, you are free to do so. You can ask here questions about the implementation if you need to.

Eugen
Attachments:
Posted on 2006-06-03 11:32:41 by Eugen
Hello,

Thanks for sharing. It looks very interesting.  ;)
Posted on 2006-06-04 01:00:04 by roticv

Nice work on the chat app.

Thanks.

Hey,
If you or any other asm programmers would like cash email me at tjwebproductions@yahoo.com and i will sell your software on my next webpage.

I appreciate the offer, but i dont intend to sell this application. It was done for testing and demonstration purposes and i intend to keep it that way. Everybody who wants to use or study it is free to do so.
( It would be interesting if somebody would realy use it :D )
One of the reasons i've released it online is that i didnt find a simple application on Windows that uses asynchronous sockets (maybe i didnt searched very well though..  :P). On other reason is that i've used many times available source code from asm forums and other generous and skilled people and i thought to give something back.  I know its small, but that's all i have for now.(besides working at Solar OS which is also open source)

If you want to expand it, for a real life application that you can ask money for, it needs a lot of polishing and new features like:
- memorize already used IP / port combinations and display it in a combo to avoid entering every time the IP/port combination
- save chat to log file
- emoticons ! (of course  :lol: )
- file transfer.. (maybe)
- conference (maybe)

Eugen
Posted on 2006-06-13 03:20:53 by Eugen
Dont this little parasite's comments break the forum rules!!!
If not I think they probably should!

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Learn to program, lameass, and stop trying to make money from other people's graft!!!
oh, and by the way, In case you're wondering when i released i didn't like you

-----------------------------------------------------------
Iczelion is not good enough
on: Today at 02:12:20 am
who else agrees that all iczelion realy does is write a program and explain it. Yeah it may help some and help reproduce that program but i think it would be better to just teach syntax and commands.
Like if the MASM tutorials would be writen a little easyer they would be perfect.
------------------------------------------------------------
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Posted on 2006-06-13 15:56:14 by asmrixstar
Easy now, asmrixstar - we all need to behave properly :)

I kinda of agree with you, though. I don't really like tjweb's constant "want to sell" offers, or the whole way he behaves. And I'm not alone. So, tjweb, relax a bit and drop the wanttosell crap.

As for the comment on Iczelion, he's right though. Iczelion's tutorials don't teach assembly - but they weren't meant to. They teach how to use the win32 API from assembly. Just like Charles Petzold's "programming windows" (which Iczelion's tutorials are modeled after) doesn't teach C, but how to use the win32 API in C.

Take it easy everybody :)
Posted on 2006-06-13 16:17:28 by f0dder
Agreed, deleting his sales pitches.
Posted on 2006-06-13 17:21:14 by SpooK
:) sorry, Dont usually lose it but ASM Community Messageboard is one of few forums i use that is free from adcrap. I dont think community members should propigate it in what is surposed to be a learning forum.

:|
Posted on 2006-06-13 17:50:55 by asmrixstar

:) sorry, Dont usually lose it but ASM Community Messageboard is one of few forums i use that is free from adcrap. I dont think community members should propigate it in what is surposed to be a learning forum.

:|

If it was a simple ad, I would not have to be so fair and forgiving :)

I think the way tjweb joined, talked about learn ASM to beat his scripting buddies in a hacking contest (just about), calling Iczelion's work crap (practically), and fronted for buying source code (mostly)... altogether... rubbed many people the wrong way.

The first thing tjweb needs to learn, is that we can "add things up" in binary/hex, just as well as anyone else can in decimal notation ;) ;) ;)
Posted on 2006-06-13 17:58:07 by SpooK
As for icz tuts perhaps they cold be expanded to include most of the simple opcodes and a breif explanation in part #1 rather than tech speak as i found this one of the steeper curves. :cry:

The real problem is that with high level languages its double click setup,next,next,next,done. and your away!
Really i think icz's tuts should we enclosed in a rather larger 'learners pack' with

Full IDE like radasm. (no offence to masm's editor)
OBJASM32 package
MASM 9
ICZ tuts (and a few notable others...)

But i fear that this would require a level of cooperation between people that would be hard to achive.... :(
Posted on 2006-06-13 19:57:31 by asmrixstar

But i fear that this would require a level of cooperation between people that would be hard to achive.... :(

Possibly, but I will discuss it with a few people :)
Posted on 2006-06-13 20:43:09 by SpooK

I have a feeling that the thread has been hijacked..  ;)

Eugen
Posted on 2006-06-14 13:26:55 by Eugen
Sorry if any one took affence to any of my posts.

Does any one know of any website that teaches asm or even just a database of asm commands would help.
Thanks

And also i can't get iczelions winsock tutorial. He needs to break it down line by line and then his tutorials may be alot better.

Eugen thanks for writing your codes with sub headings it helped alot in seeing how sockets work.
Posted on 2006-06-14 22:13:29 by tjweb
Posted on 2006-06-14 22:16:17 by SpooK