Hi,

In previous Visual Studio versions I was able to edit .rc files and add controls to dialogs etc. but in VS2005 it seems it can open .rc files but I can't make any changes to them?!?

Does anybody have any info how to enable editing of .rc files in VS2005?

Best regards,
Sami
Posted on 2006-06-08 13:54:47 by SamiP
I presume you are talking about the "free" edition of VS2005. Well...in that you can't. I have configured ResEd with my free version for the same!!! Works like a charm!!!
Posted on 2006-06-08 14:22:38 by shantanu_gadgil
I downloaded the Standard version. So if I download the Professional then I should be able to use it to edit .rc files also. Is that what you mean?

I have legall access to MSDN subscriber downloads. In the attached picture there is list of all VS2005 versions that is available for me, what you suggest me to download?
Attachments:
Posted on 2006-06-08 15:42:27 by SamiP
Hmm, as long as you get a non-express version, it should be able to edit resource files, standard as well. I thought even the express versions did too, after all they do support native apps as well as dotNET. Perhaps you need to set up a project of some kind rather than just opening the .rc file?
Posted on 2006-06-08 16:09:51 by f0dder
It seems that you have to create a VC++ project and insert .rc file to it, to be able to edit resources. In older version of VS you could just open .rc file and edit it, now in VS2005 it is just in view mode if .rc file is opened without a project file. Sadly this adds quite much work for just to edit resources for asm programs :(

Well, it seems that you can create en empty Projectname.vcproj -file, which just includes rsrc.rc file and then double clicking that .vcproj file you can edit resources inside that rsrc.rc file. So it adds one file copy to make/edit resources with VS2005 to asm programs.

If anybody has a better solution, please tell me.
Posted on 2006-06-09 01:30:59 by SamiP
It seems that you have to create a VC++ project and insert .rc file to it...

I am confused. I am using the VC 2005 Express (SKU, whatever that is) edition which I have downloaded from Microsoft's website:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/download/
OR
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/support/install/

*** I don't have any MSDN subscription.

Are the Win32 projects disabled in the Standard edition too? If yes you can read the attached doc. (Info from MS website itself)
Posted on 2006-06-09 02:12:32 by shantanu_gadgil
In Standard VS 2005 I have possibility to make Win32 Console Application and Win32 Project, under Visual C++/Win32.

But without creating a such project you can open .rc files only in read only mode. When you create a project you can open .rc files inside that project at read/write mode.
Posted on 2006-06-13 08:45:30 by SamiP