I'm Very Exited. Driving to Rookies for the Germany - Costa Rica game. The whole office is coming, were just locking the doors for an extended lunch and then come back.

I love my job.
Posted on 2006-06-09 10:34:48 by JimmyClif
http://shelleytherepublican.com/2006/06/09/the-world-cup-starts-today-should-you-be-excited-no.aspx

:D
Posted on 2006-06-09 12:08:33 by QUASAR
Hehe. Is that a satire site, or are americans/republicans really that ignorant? Not that soccer/football interests me the least bit, but that URL is fun, QUASAR :)
Posted on 2006-06-09 12:33:16 by f0dder
Jimmy,
Didn't see you on any of the cams! :lol:
But the waitresses don't look half bad :mrgreen:
Rags
Posted on 2006-06-09 12:38:24 by rags
For those who are interested in it. Was a great game. Enjoyed it very much. Had 4 Guiness inwithin the 90 mins - probably a reason for my shorttypingness ;)

Also, for the ones interested out there. Tomorrow I'll be watching the Argentina vs Ivory Coast and the day after that the Serbia/Montenegro vs Holland game. After that it will get blurry as I'd probaly watch all the US, Italy, Germany and France games. (And every other game which sounds like fun (aka a weak team getting hammered by a stronger one).
Posted on 2006-06-09 13:49:30 by JimmyClif
Mmmmm, a sport played on grass instead of ice and no puck, how quaint  :D

Oh well, it's playoff time in the NHL so I guess I'll have to miss it.
Attachments:
Posted on 2006-06-09 21:48:10 by donkey

Hehe. Is that a satire site, or are americans/republicans really that ignorant?

I think it is satire/provocation because it' impossible for people to be as stupid/ignorant. But I'm always ROTF'ing while reading it, it remembers me that people all over the world are all the same - no matter what country they live.
Posted on 2006-06-10 01:32:43 by QUASAR
czech vs USA --> 3:0

I love the game. But, I'm somehow surprised why USA is "weak" compared to the 2002 team which made it to quarter finals.

Anyway, I like Tomas Rosicky. His goals are beautiful, "long-range" shots  :shock:
Posted on 2006-06-12 22:01:30 by Pinczakko
I didn't :sad:. The US played horrible. A very sad performance. The bar we were in was pretty damn quiet throughout the game considering there were 50+ people there (guess). The only noise was the uproar after every goal.
Posted on 2006-06-13 05:56:06 by JimmyClif
Just found this: The Microsoft Soccer Scorecard.

available to download from MS.
Posted on 2006-06-13 07:21:21 by JimmyClif
I haven't updated this in a while... So, the US left early after playing a bunch of miserable games. Were in Semi Finals now and it's getting a little more interesting.

Germany vs Italy and Portugal vs France leading up to a Germany vs France Finals.

I was actually tempted today to go place some wagers on the Portugal/England game. Thank God for not doing it as I would have lost. :mrgreen:
Posted on 2006-07-02 03:40:55 by JimmyClif
Oh, and a little anecdote from some Bar I went to a couple days ago. I live in the US but am originally from Europe. Hence my interest in soccer.

As most of you know, the bar was mostly empty as people don't care about soccer. But there was one table yeahing and cheering all throughout the Argentina vs Germany match. Twice during the game they made references to Aryans and once they were hinting that some german soccer player was doing the Hitler salute when waving to the fans.

After that Hitler salute reference I was patiently waiting for the Germans to do something and when they hit that goal I cheered and yelled at my friends "Na, siehste, sagte dir doch schons wir werden diese Argentiener doch noch schaffen. Wusste doch dass nicht alles etc etc etc....."* While my friends agreed "Ja Ja Ja".

The Rest of the Game (+/- 40 minutes) the bar was dead silent. :) And when the Germans won that group of people left pretty much instantly in unison.

* German for " See, I knew we're going to beat those Argentinians etc etc etc"
Posted on 2006-07-02 03:56:47 by JimmyClif
I think alot of people would have lost their money because they bet on Brazil for the quarters. It's quite interesting to note that only europeans made it into the semis.
Posted on 2006-07-02 07:02:59 by roticv

fraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaance!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted on 2006-07-02 19:06:47 by HeLLoWorld
I always thought Brazil was one of those over-rated teams. They are not *that* good, there has just been no one else *better* until now.

Then again, my basis is not even on soccer stats or anything related, as I do not follow soccer. I am basing my judgement on one thing... hype :P

So that is my ignorant two-cents into the soccer world. I am still hoping for France vs. Germany :)
Posted on 2006-07-02 22:35:36 by SpooK
Germany appears overrated too. What was that all about? 2 Goals in the last minute of the second half in overtime? WTF? :shock: :shock:

Again, I was thinking about putting up some online wages and I was actually considering betting on Italy because they had a general 2,4:1 ratio. Put up $10 get $24 in case they win. Germany only had a 1.15 ratio which made it very uninteresting.

Posted on 2006-07-04 17:54:10 by JimmyClif
Italy finally won the worldcup after a PSO (Penalty Shoot Out). Too bad Zidane had to get a red-card in the end of his career  :sad:
Posted on 2006-07-10 00:24:09 by Pinczakko
Just more proof france can't win anything ;)

(yes, I know they won it something like 2 cups ago or so)
Posted on 2006-07-10 04:45:25 by Bobbias
France had the overhand imo as Italy lost the ball possession about every 2 passes. I couldn't believe how often Italy shot the ball right to some French players foot. :mad:

That Zidane foul was awful - what could that Italian guy possibly told him to get him to do such a thing? He's supposed to be a professional for crying out loud.

I'm always disappointed when games end by Penalty Kicks. So... well, Italy won.

See you in 2010.
Posted on 2006-07-10 07:47:05 by JimmyClif

Just more proof france can't win anything ;)

(yes, I know they won it something like 2 cups ago or so)

How dare you call this France ?! This team is not much than a bunch of mercenaries and usurpers who got naturalized in order to bring us the world cup !
I'm very happy they lost and that scum zidane revealed himself tonight

Posted on 2006-07-10 10:44:32 by Axial