in the help/masm32.hlp there is description of dw2ah procedure, but problem in that there is no any dw2ah procedure in masm32.inc file
where i can found this procedure?
Posted on 2006-06-12 14:09:10 by SET
Add this to masm32.inc:

dw2ah proto :DWORD, :DWORD

and it should all work fine - IIRC it is included properly into the lib.

You might want to think about the dw2hex routine instead though

This has already been noted over at the other place (by Petroizki) following the version 9 release, so whenever hutch gets an update out, this should be fixed.

Ossa
Posted on 2006-06-12 14:18:02 by Ossa
SET,

All masmlib functions located in m32lib folder (look for dw2ah.asm).
The prototype for dw2ah seems to be missing from mas32.inc though.

edit: whoops. i read windows.imc of masm32.inc by mistake...
Posted on 2006-06-12 14:24:27 by arafel
oh, thanks, it just not declareted it masm32.inc
Posted on 2006-06-12 14:30:49 by SET
Just a little friendly warning:
I do not recommend using m32lib functions in any 'serious' applications.. particularly those involving string manipulations.
Why?
Because they contain no bounds-checking, and leave your application vulnerable to buffer and stack overflows (I won't elaborate).
Thankfully, the sourcecode to all those functions is included, and you can borrow and modify the sourcecode to suit your own needs.

(IMHO public libs should ALWAYS be 'acid tested' before being released, and the fact that m32lib is riddled with holes has been public knowledge for some years now without being addressed is a testament to the uncaring and irresponsible nature of you-know-who).
Posted on 2006-06-12 22:25:06 by Homer
Also, stay away from the shell routine, and if you want to use the OLE/COM picture routines (to load .jpeg and .gif files etc.), make sure the version you're using has a fixed BitmapFromMemory without double-free bug.

IMHO public libs should ALWAYS be 'acid tested' before being released

Everybody can make mistakes. The problem is when somebody denies that mistakes have been made, and refuses to fix them :)
Posted on 2006-06-13 05:00:05 by f0dder
I just can not understand why, after all this time, he has not fixed those problems.  The fixes are not even complicated.  Homer has the way to go, just stay away from that library.

Paul
Posted on 2006-06-13 08:46:29 by PBrennick
I thick if i do some changing in dw2hex ( I'm about adding bounds-checking as Homer sad) than there will be no any reasons not no use it in my progs
Posted on 2006-06-13 21:07:06 by SET

I thick if i do some changing in dw2hex ( I'm about adding bounds-checking as Homer sad) than there will be no any reasons not no use it in my progs

Probably not - the key point here being that you take an active look at any m32lib functions before you use them.
Posted on 2006-06-14 13:37:09 by f0dder
SET,
Right, you got the idea, look over the code, sence the lib comes with source
and fix the error's in the code, now all this is mute if your just making apps
to get good at learning assembly, but if you plan to make a Tool, IDE, something
for others to use I suggest looking the functions over completely.

Zcoder....

Posted on 2006-06-17 12:02:21 by Zcoder
Agreed. In general, masm32.lib is a pretty good collection of functions. There are some bugs/errors that the maintainer refuses to recognize from our perspective, so you are encouraged to examine these functions yourself before investing in them.
Posted on 2006-06-20 17:39:53 by SpooK