Hi,

When I was little I remember that my father build autofire to joysticks. Now when the Joyscticks which have games inside are come popular, I would like to build Autofire also to those joysticks to help me and my son to survive better on those games. Unfortunately I don't have the skills to design such a autofire feature, tools to build one I have.

So it would be nice if you guys could help me and provide intructions how to build one and what parts are needed. It would be nice if the speed of the autofire is changeable, because different games read the fire button at different intervals.

Best regards,
Sami
Posted on 2006-06-22 12:18:17 by SamiP

cmos 4016 iirc is "4 analog switches'. Make some oscillator 5-10Hz to control these switches, and redirect through the analogue-switches one of the two wires (they'll be on a PCB!) that lead to the button's "pad".

Another technique would be to use a single AND-NOT (4 such logical gates inside) cmos IC (I don't remember model number, maybe 4004? ) . Two logical gates for the oscillator, and two gates for one button's positive pad wire.
The latter two gates are connected like this: gate3 - one input from the oscillator, one input from the joystick's button's positive wire. gate4 negates the result of gate3.
Posted on 2006-07-08 10:54:16 by Ultrano
offtopic, but I wish I knew some of this :/ I honestly have no clue what I'm doing in this field, lol :/
Posted on 2006-07-09 01:06:55 by Bobbias
For those of us who are somewhat gaming "challenged" please explain, what is this autofire feature anyway?
Posted on 2006-07-09 01:19:26 by arafel
You press and hold the button, and it (the button) keeps firing: constantly presses and depresses itself (on the electronical level, of course. not physically. Physically you keep it pressed). You can use a timer, or anything. This site has many tutorials. From the very beginning (what is voltage) to the very end (well, sort of. It ends on digital theory). It has many examples, and lets you really understand electronics, not just 'know how to use it'. I really recommend these tutorials to anyone who wants to learn electronics.

Oh, and BTW: one lesson covers timed oscillator. It can be used to create the autofire you want (I realize you understand that this problem, like any else, has an infinite amount of possible solutions, this being only one of them).

And get yourself "Multisim and Electronics Workbench" (mine is version 7.0). It has everything needed to virtually create and test circuits. It is fully 'compatible' with the above mentioned tutorials. It also comes with many pre-defined ICs (integrated circuits), like the one Ultrano mentioned, and you can even define your own.

/edit: corrected some typos
Posted on 2006-07-09 02:37:07 by ti_mo_n
I downloaded the 45 day trial of Multisim, pointed out by ti_mo_n and it seems to be quite valuable program. I was able to build "AutoFire" in it, using LM555 timer chip.

I also build the same circuit in testbed and connected it to the target joystick and... ques what.... It almost worked ;)

It seems that my circuit Autofires in pulses. Even when connected to the osciloscope, it display a nice square wave. Maybe I need to modify my circuit so that the button is down only part of its up time. As now it is down equally long time it is up... If this makes any sense to anyone ;)

Anyway I don't have currently time nor access to the equipment to experiment more...  :cry:
Posted on 2006-07-18 16:11:48 by SamiP
I don't get what you're meaning by up and down there... Are you trying to make it so that it fires more often and takes less time between fires or something? That would be difficult to do unless you wanted to add a different frequency and make it so that when you add the frequencies together it's only in the statre you don't want it for a fraction of the total time (hard to explain fi you don't understand what happens when you badd frequencies together and whatnot).
Posted on 2006-07-18 22:53:41 by Bobbias
He means the real button doesn't control the autofire. He's made a simple oscillator instead of a gated oscillator.
And I should remind him to re-read my previous post :)
Posted on 2006-07-19 00:08:11 by Ultrano
You are right Ultrano, I made a simple oscillator. Could you, please, explain more about making a gated oscillator?
Posted on 2006-07-20 15:26:53 by SamiP
upload a .gif/.png screenshot of your schematic, for me to modify it
Posted on 2006-07-20 18:33:11 by Ultrano