Hello :) Me again.

I am reading alot of documents on assembly programming, a bit confusing at times but nothin unmanageable if I put my mind to it. I have the intel documents at hand (ordered them and got them within a week :) Go Intel!)

But..

I dont know what to make :( The stuff I want to make is a bit out of my scope at the moment (games, simple 2D games :P, who hasnt wanted to make games at some point?)

Now my question is:

What should I make? What is a good first project? Something to learn some fundimentals and require some assembly instead of endless "invoke"s?

And after that... Second project? Third project and so on? I am empty of all Ideas.. Thinking about making a jpeg-viewer.. To teach myself some algorithm, file reading and so on.. but after that.. I have no idea :)
Posted on 2006-06-27 20:09:11 by talmir
My first project was a simple multiple-choice game, designed to learn the capitals of the United States.  I used 2 arrays and a random number generator.  This can be created either as a console application or as a simple windows application.
I've been away from programming for awhile (retired) and it is fun to code again.
Hope this helps,
JohnnyReb
Posted on 2006-06-27 21:08:44 by JohnnyReb

Hello :) Me again.

I am reading alot of documents on assembly programming, a bit confusing at times but nothin unmanageable if I put my mind to it. I have the intel documents at hand (ordered them and got them within a week :) Go Intel!)

But..

I dont know what to make :( The stuff I want to make is a bit out of my scope at the moment (games, simple 2D games :P, who hasnt wanted to make games at some point?)

Now my question is:

What should I make? What is a good first project? Something to learn some fundimentals and require some assembly instead of endless "invoke"s?

And after that... Second project? Third project and so on? I am empty of all Ideas.. Thinking about making a jpeg-viewer.. To teach myself some algorithm, file reading and so on.. but after that.. I have no idea :)

If you plan on programming for an OS, you will most definitely being using plenty of INVOKES (API Calls).

If you want to hone your skills, start with simple command-line mathematical/algorithm-based programs. This will allow you to concentrate on sharpening your use of the instruction set, usually to the extent where you don't use the instruction set as much (a form of optimization, is using only what instructions you need to use). Take care not to get too involved in optimizing every instruction, as this is not a real way to achieve efficiency. You need to break the problem down first, analyze, and use the "right tool for the right job".

From there, I would learn more efficient techniques for utilizing memory (RAM) and its access... and plug that in to the above statement... rinse... repeat :)
Posted on 2006-06-27 21:15:57 by SpooK
Yeah, if you're not concentrating on games, or on learning win32 or whatever OS, look more towards console based stuff to get a better grip using the language itself.

(I'm an exception to this style on ASM, since I've done enough DOS programs and java console proggies in school to have figured out mostly what I'm doing, I'm suing the WinAPI and riting pong :/)
Posted on 2006-06-27 21:27:15 by Bobbias
Write yourself an app that multiplies 2 matrices. Something like this.
Posted on 2006-06-28 16:07:48 by ti_mo_n
What about solving Project Euler using asm?
Posted on 2006-06-29 02:45:39 by roticv