Hi everyone,

On a Win98 system, how can we give fade in/out effects to our applications?
I appreciate if someone could help me how to do it.
Posted on 2006-07-03 10:22:45 by hakand
Posted on 2006-07-03 11:25:52 by ti_mo_n
hakand,
The attached project, by William Cravener shows you how to do this plus it shows how to show bitmap animation.

Paul
Attachments:
Posted on 2006-07-03 12:08:05 by PBrennick
Thank you for the answers. Attached is really a good example.
Posted on 2006-07-03 12:48:26 by hakand
Mr Cravener says in the code that it works with Win2000 and later.
Is there an example for Win98?
Posted on 2006-07-03 12:55:54 by hakand
You could try experimenting with that API referance that was posted here first, and see if it works on win98 (I honestly don't know)
Posted on 2006-07-03 13:04:44 by Bobbias
I don't have Windows '98 but I tested it on Windows ME.  The program works but the effect which looks nice on XP really looks horrid on ME.  Sorry for steering you wrong. I love that effect!

Paul
Posted on 2006-07-03 16:08:05 by PBrennick
Lol, well, it's ME, I don't think anything is good on ME. Anyone running ME should upgrade to 98SE if nothing else (I say upgrade because 98SE is BETTER, more reliable, and crashes MUCH less).

In either case, ME was like the transition between XP and 98SE, I guess, more of a testbed for some transitional stuff, most likely, that's also probably why it crashes so much.
Posted on 2006-07-03 20:01:53 by Bobbias
As far as is know hakand there is no equivilent function in windows 98
But you can still uses the region api to make a custom window shape which still looks cool in the rather 'square' enviroment on 9x/ME

As a point of interest I once tried simulating the alphablend effect on 9x by seting every-other pixel transparent/notthere. It looked really cool but caused major problems for the mouse cursor  :D

A word of caution thought m8,
People that are still using 9x/ME tend to like thing 'crisp and fast' (IMHO) and they probably wont thank you if you do what ive see shareware programers do.That is try and simulate xp caption bars.etc.
Ive included this really nice example of alphablending
;-----------------------
; PngSkin IV example by Qweerdy
;------------------------
;
; This version shows a lot of cool new things, like real controls, the new ModifySkin and
; FadeEdges procs, and the new and improved PaintSkin proc. Changes since the last version include
; some tweaks intended to speed up main window resizing. It looks like they didn't have a lot of effect though.

Have fun...

(PS I thought 98 was buggy and me was rock solid! It took me a loooooong time to 'upgrade' to XP)
Attachments:
Posted on 2006-07-04 07:12:09 by asmrixstar
Doing fade in/out on 9x is somewhat of a hack, afaik requiring you to grab the background of where your window is, then manually fading - I've only seen it done with splash screens, and it has problems if there's an animating window underneath.
Posted on 2006-07-04 11:54:34 by f0dder
Only if they don't take a screenshot each time they try to fade the next level, lol I doubt anyone sane would do that, but it would probably look better than having the animated window just stop. I guess the framerate might drop somewhat, and it'd probably require a ddecently fast processor, but it IS possible.
Posted on 2006-07-05 03:03:18 by Bobbias
Sure it's possible, it's just somewhat ugly :)

If you limit the fade effect to processors with MMX support (who DOESN'T have MMX today?), it should be quite possible without too much CPU usage.
Posted on 2006-07-05 03:10:06 by f0dder
Well, I don't know much at all about how the MMX stuff helps with something liek that, so that's why I thought it would have a lot of CPU use, considering the added cycles for each time you need to get the background and combine with your window stuff.
Posted on 2006-07-05 03:20:44 by Bobbias
Well, BitBlt'ing (grabbing screen as well as putting modified back to screen) should be fast enough on all computers - MMX makes the fading itself easier/faster.
Posted on 2006-07-05 03:24:21 by f0dder
Well, you're the one who'se worked with BitBlt more thnan about 3 times in your life :P
(I honestly need a LOT more work on learning to draw stuff tot he screen and crap, lol, my "move bitmap" program designed specifically to allow you to move a Blt'd picture on the screen with arrow keys doesn't even work.)
Posted on 2006-07-05 03:30:52 by Bobbias